Open Data Contest
The Province of Nova Scotia is teaming with the School of Information Management and the Rowe School of Business (Dalhousie Faculty of Management) to host an Open Data Contest on March 4 - 5, 2017 in conjunction with International Open Data Day. The contest will be starting March 4th at 9:30 AM and awards will be given out March 5th after the 3:30 contest close. There will be cash and other prizes for winning contestants.
The Open Data Challenge is focused on three main areas:
- Promoting tourism,
- Assisting new immigrants,
- Effective management of Nova Scotia's natural resources and protection of the environment
Participants will address one or more of the Challenge's three areas by:
- Building / prototyping an app (web / mobile / desktop) that is innovative, easy-to-use, and beneficial to a broad range of stakeholders. (The app must use at least one dataset from the Nova Scotia Open Data portal).
- Analyzing data and producing compelling visualizations that are creative, informative, and easy to understand. Submissions should clearly articulate the value of the analysis, and what specific objective it achieves. (Submissions should draw on multiple datasets that must include data from the Nova Scotia Open Data portal).
- Predictive modeling with NS open data, to generate interesting, informative and useful models based on relative data sets including those from Nova Scotia Open Source Data (e.g., 'predicting retail sales revenue in local small and medium businesses based on weather data/geo data)
Participants may register as an individual or a team. If registering a team, an RSVP for each team member must be submitted.
Kenneth C. Rowe Management Building, 6100 University Ave
Visit our Event page to register.