Acting Director (SIM); Associate Professor; Associate Vice-President (Academic)
Phone: (902) 494-3031
Fax: (902) 494-2451
Rowe Management Building, Suite 4010
6100 University Avenue
PO BOX 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Information and society (books for children and teens)
- Educational and information services (children's services, collections development, community engagement, community-led services, pleasure reading, readers' advisory services, reading and literacy, young adult services)
- Human information interaction (accidental information acquisition, information needs and behaviours, online catalogue retrieval systems)
- BA (University of British Columbia)
- MA (University of British Columbia)
- MLIS (Dalhousie University)
- PhD (Aberystwyth University)
I began my university career in my hometown of Vancouver, BC, at the Department of English at UBC, where I taught a variety of composition and professional writing classes. After several years teaching in the English Department, I transitioned to the English Language Institute, part of UBC’s Continuing Studies division, where I was coordinator of Communication Programs for international students. This was an exciting and challenging position that gave me a taste for curriculum design and program administration, as well as an appreciation for the importance of internationalization in post-secondary education.
I moved to Halifax in December 1991 and enrolled in the MLIS program at Dalhousie in September 1992, so I’m proud to be an alumna of the program in which I teach. After graduating with my MLIS, I worked in the non-print collection at NSCAD University and in the library at the Technical University of Nova Scotia (TUNS) before returning to Dalhousie to teach part-time. My part-time teaching became full-time with the launch of the Bachelor of Management program in 1999, and I was one of the original instructors in that new undergraduate program. In 2007 I became the Academic Director of the Bachelor of Management Program and in 2011 I was appointed Associate Dean Academic for the Faculty of Management.
I have a wide range of related research interests including barriers and motivators for pleasure reading, particularly for young readers; social reading initiatives; and Atlantic Canadian literature for children and teens. Since 2010, I have been lead investigator in an inter-university research team developing the Sea Stacks website, a web resource devoted to Atlantic Canadian literature for children and young adults.