Professor; Associate Vice-President Academic
Phone: (902) 494-1026
Fax: (902) 494-7880
6299 South Street
PO BOX 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Information and society (business history, labour history, print culture, publishing industry and its history)
- Information organisation and representation (geographic information systems, information visualization)
- BEd (Aberdeen University)
- MLIS (Dalhousie University)
- PhD (Loughborough University)
- Black, Fiona A., Bertrum H. MacDonald and J. Malcolm W. Black. “Geographic Information Systems: A New Research Method for Book History.” Book History 1 (1998): 11-31.
- Black, Fiona A. “Beyond Boundaries: Book Availability in the Canadian Northwest.” In Across Boundaries: The Book in Culture and Commerce, Bill Bell, Philip Bennett and Jonquil Bevan, eds. Winchester: St. Paul’s Bibliographies; New Castle, DE: Oak Knoll Press, 2000, pp. 91-115.
- Gruzd, Anatoliy, Fiona A. Black, Thi Ngoc Yen Le and Kathleen Amos. “Investigating Biomedical Research Literature in the Blogosphere: A Case Study of Diabetes and HbA1c.” Journal of the Medical Library Association 100.1 (2012): 34-42.
- May, Francine and Fiona A. Black. “Providing Evidence of the Life of the Space: Experiencing Nova Scotia Public Libraries.” Evidence-Based Library and Information Practice 5.2 (2010): 5-34.
- Lamonde, Yvan, Patricia L. Fleming and Fiona A. Black, eds. History of the Book in Canada, Volume 2, 1840-1918. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2005.
Selected Awards and Honours:
- Principal Investigator. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. Insight Development Grant ($45,213) awarded for Developing Transnational Approaches in Print Culture: New Questions and Methods. 2011-2013.
- Principal Investigator. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. Standard Research Grant ($93,000) awarded for Investigating Complexity in Information Studies: The Example of Print Culture and Geographic Information Systems. 2007-2010.
- Co-applicant. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. Major Collaborative Research Initiative funding ($2.3 million) awarded for the History of the Book in Canada project. 2000-2006.
- Nominated Research Fellowship. Institute for the Advanced Study of the Humanities, University of Edinburgh, 2010.
- Honorary Fellowship (lifetime), Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (UK), 2007.