What are my responsibilities as a Practicum supervisor?
The Practicum Supervisor assumes responsibility for organizing the student's placement by:
- Developing an appropriate placement which includes:
a. Exposure to the placement site’s administrative context, structure and procedures.
b. Ample opportunity (approximately 25% of the duration of the Practicum) for the student to contribute to the general mission of the placement site
c. Developing one or more in-depth projects which focus on particular aspects of the placement site's work. While working on these projects the student should provide useful service and feedback to the placement site.
d. Opportunities for students to observe, evaluate, question and discuss with their supervisor(s) what they are learning/observing during their placement
- Communicating the details of the placement to the student and the MLIS Program Coordinator prior to the placement commencement
- Functioning as the principal contact with the School and reporting any concerns to the MLIS Program Coordinator.
- Making yourself available during regular business hours to counsel the student, or to be consulted by the student.
- Reviewing the progress of the Practicum
- Submitting the supervisor’s Practicum report by the required deadline. The practicum may be undertaken only after completion of the first year of the MLIS program (or for part-time students, after completion of at least 6 core courses). The Practicum may be completed during the April – August period or, concurrently with classes during the fall term of the second year.
Are there necessary elements of a Practicum placement, or is it just a 100-hour project?
During the Practicum placement, the student is expected to contribute to the activities of the workplace and to meet the same demands of work production and responsibility expected by the organization of its regular employees.
Is there a formal agreement governing a placement?
Yes. Our 100-hour Practicum hosts sign a Practicum Placement Agreement. This document is forwarded once feasibility for an unpaid placement has been established and need only be signed once. The agreement then covers all subsequent Practicum placements. A copy of the signed agreement will be returned to you for your files.
Do I need to submit a report?
The Practicum supervisor prepares and submits their supervisor’s report to the MLIS Program Coordinator (via email, fax or mail) by the required date. Visit the Supervisor Report page for additional details.
|Regular Placements (100 hours)
||Two weeks after completion of the placement|
|Extended Work Placements (500 hours)||November 1st|
Is the Practicum graded?
Yes. A Pass or Fail grade is assigned by the MLIS Program Coordinator after the Practicum has been completed and all course requirements have been met. The course requirements must be completed by February 1st of the student's graduating year.
To offer a placement contact JoAnn Watson, MLIS Program Coordinator.