The MLIS Program Coordinator:
- Holds the annual fall-term Practicum Information Session for all MLIS students planning to complete a Practicum in the Spring term (April)
- Reviews all Practicum Applications
- Meets individually with all eligible MLIS students in November to discuss their Practicum goals and facilitate the determination of a placement site.
- Negotiates all Practicum placements within HRM by:
a. Communicating with potential placement sites
b. Forwarding student information to workplace supervisor (i.e.: current electronic resume)
c. Sending a Notice of Placement to the student
d. Confirming the agreed-upon placement with the placement site
e. Arranging initial contact between the student and the supervisor.
- Consults with students about placements outside HRM; provides the student with protocol to follow
a. Upon notification of a successfully arranged a placement outside HRM, the MLIS Program Coordinator contacts the placement site, provides contact information as well as contextual and detailed information about the Practicum process
- Develops Practicum agreements for all 100-hour Practicum sites
- Tracks Practicum placement progress
- Consults with either party throughout the duration of the Practicum (if required).
- Follows up with student and supervisor, if necessary, to ensure timely submission of Practicum Reports
- Evaluates the student and Practicum supervisor reports
a. Provides an opportunity for students to read the Supervisor’s Report
- Assigns the Pass/Fail grade for INFO 0590
- Works with the placement supervisor and the student in an advisory capacity, if Practicum work performance does not warrant a passing grade.