Associate Professor of Management; Associate Director, Rowe School of Business; Academic/Research Director, CELNET
- Organizational & computer-mediated communication
- Business, professional & corporate communications
- Social network analysis
- Historical data analysis
- Constructiveness & business ethics
- Content analysis
- Networking technologies
- Social media, virtual teams & e-learning
- B.E. Electronics & Communication Engg (Mangalore)
- MS Elec Engg (Rensselaer)
- PhD Communication & Rhetoric (Rensselaer)
- PDF (Toronto)
Dr. Binod Sundararajan’s research interests lie in organizational, professional and business communication; computer-mediated communication; CSCW, CSCL and social network analysis. He conducts research in adoption and diffusion of mediated technologies, use of CMC in such diverse areas as entrepreneurship, justice, teaching, collaborative work and learning and management education, and historical data analysis.
- Building an historical GIS platform from archival data: the creation of dynamic databases for visualization of historical GIS information. Johansen, S., Sundararajan, B. & Armstrong, P.F. Proceedings of the 35th ACM International Conference on the Design of Communication – SIGDOC (2017)
- Lean, Ethical Business Communication (business communication textbook). Sundararajan, B. & Macdonald, L. Toronto: Oxford University Publishers (2016)
- An analysis of leaderspeak about sustainability using the lenses of speech act theory and social identity framing. Sundararajan, B. Proceedings of the Transforming Emerging Economies and Sustainability conference (TEES), Nov 8-9, Christ University, Bengaluru, India (2016).
- Impact of group emotions on student collective action tendencies, ties, and task performance. Sundararajan, M., Sundararajan, B. & Manderson, J. Journal of Education for Business, 91(7), 355-364 (2016) http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08832323.2016.1231107
- The business school scorecard: Examining the systematic sources of business school value. Finch, D., Varella, P., Foster, W., Sundararajan, B., Bates, K., Nadeau, J., O’Reilly, N. & Deephouse, D. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences 33(4), 277-289 (2016) NOMINATED FOR CJAS BEST PAPER AWARD
Selected Awards and Honours
- 2017 Nominated for the Management Teaching Excellence Award (3rd nomination in 9 years)
- 2017 Co-Investigator, KPMG Family Business Grant, $10,000. Social network analysis and family businesses in the Maritimes (Albert James, PI).
- 2016 Co-Investigator, SSHRC Connections Grant, $49,997. Creating a community of practice in Atlantic Canada for role-play simulations in the classroom.
- 2012-2014 Co-Investigator, SSHRC Partnership Development Grant, $200,000. Irish-Catholic discourse and social mobility in nineteenth century Halifax: The exemplary case of Holy Cross Cemetery.
- 2011-2014 Principal Investigator, 2-year SSHRC Grant, $74,500. The use of texting as a discussion tool/medium in higher education classrooms.
- COMM 1710/1720 - Business Communication I & II
- COMM 4510 - Corporate Communication
- BUSI 5305 - Managing People