2017 MLIS Career Discovery Tour ‑ Toronto
Management Career Services presents the opportunity for MLIS students to participate in the ninth annual Career Discovery Tour taking place in Toronto on Tuesday, December 12 and Wednesday, December 13, 2017.
"Given the generosity of these IM professional with their time and knowledge, I’ve gained so many new perspectives and feel more comfortable with my career field of choice.” 1st year MLIS student
Not only will you gain exposure to careers in information management and libraries, this is your one-time chance to engage on a more personal level through sessions and networking events with representatives from a variety of organizations.
- Building your professional network
- Learning more about career options
- Participating in mock interviews
- Gaining a better understanding of a variety of career paths
- Exploring policy issues
- Gain recognition for your participation in the Career Discovery Tour by adding it to your Co-Curricular Record.
IS THIS TOUR FOR ME?
Yes, if you want the following:
- To expand your network of professional contacts with employers and alumni
- To gain an understanding of the culture within various organizations
- To practice networking and interviewing
- To create leads towards career related employment
- To discover potential career opportunities
- To find out what it takes to be successful
DETAILS FROM PAST PARTICIPANTS
Statistics from 2014 Toronto Career Discovery Tour Evaluations:
- 91% of MLIS students agreed that they made valuable networking contacts.
- 91% of MLIS students agreed that this tour helped focus their career goals.
- 100% of students agreed that they now better understand how to get hired.
- 100% of students agreed they would recommend the tour to other students.
- 100% of students agreed that the tour was well organized.
- 100% of students agreed that the Prep Session was helpful.
- December 2017 dates: December 12 and 13, 2017.
- Day One: the tour will start at 8:00 a.m. and go until approximately 7:30 p.m.
- Day Two: the tour will start at approximately 8:00 a.m. end by 5:00 p.m.
- Here is a sample itinerary based on the tour that took place last year [PDF 208 kB]
- Registration will open on Friday, September 15 @ 12noon
- Space will be limited to 15 participants and is based on first come first served basis
- The registration process will be outlined to all MLIS students by Wednesday, September 12 via email
- A resume, 200 word profile
- Registration closes on Wednesday, October 4 @ 12noon
Participants of previous MLIS Career Discovery Tours took advantage of the following opportunities:
- Resume reviews
- Participant Resume Book distributed to employer that the group interacts with
- Business cards for students
- Alumni reception
- Mock interviews
- Preparation workshop prior to departure (date to be confirmed)
- How to take advantage of this career development opportunity
- Goals to set
- Brief overview of employers
- Meet other participants
PARTICIPANT RESUME BOOK
MCS is putting together a "Resume Book" which will be circulated to all participating organizations. This will contain resumes and profiles of all tour participants. Each resume and profile will be reviewed and once reviewed, your documents will be returned to you with comments. You will have 48 hours to make changes to your documents and send the documents back to MCS.
To ensure your document will fit in the Resume Book, please review the criteria:
- Use MS Word
- Do not use a template
- Set your margins to 'normal' (2.54 cm / 1 inch on all sides) so that none of your document will be cut off in the binding process
- Create and use a professional Dalhousie email address
- Remain consistent in your font throughout your document
- Do not insert page numbers
- Recommend using right aligned dates
- Maximum resume length is two pages
- To assist you with your profile please review the document: Writing Your Profile [PDF 69kB]
Students are responsible for making their own travel and accommodation arrangements. In prior years, students have made arrangements to stay with family and friends or to share accommodations.
You will be charged a $100 cancellation fee if you cancel less than 30 days prior to the event, or if you do not participate fully in the event. Bring cash for your meals and taxis (amounts to be determined).
When making your travel arrangements for the tour, please keep in mind the following:
- Since the tour will start early in the morning and you will not be able to take your luggage with you during the tour, everyone must arrive in Toronto the evening before the tour starts
- It is expected that the tour will end at 5:00 p.m. on the second day.
- Students are required to participate in the full tour
- Enough time will have to be given to gather your luggage during rush hour and make it to the airport in advance of your flight out of Toronto. Therefore, flights should be booked to leave Toronto after 8:00 p.m. on Day Two.The Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport is much closer to downtown and it has a number of flights operated by Porter and Air Canada Express to regional destinations.
Please direct any questions to:
Operations Manager, Management Career Services
QUOTES FROM PAST PARTICIPANTS
- “Each visit we made was brilliant. We visited diverse locations, met so many people and I love the amount of time to mingle and talk with professionals.”
- “Highly valuable, in that it touched on a wide variety of IM workplaces.”
- “This tour was invaluable. I got more out of the experience than I realized – connections, exposure to non-traditional career options – and it has given me more confidence about my education and future career path.”
- “This trip has helped me get outside of my comfort zone in many ways, especially at the networking and mock interview components.”