International Exchange Program
Spend a term studying abroad
Our JD program offers valuable opportunities to study in other countries and in other legal traditions. Students are eligible to do an exchange in their third year of the program; exchanges are normally completed over one term. While attending the exchange partner institution, tuition will be paid at Dalhousie.
Partner institutions participating in the International Exchange Program
With over 20 exchange partners, students can spend their exchanges at the following institutions:*
- Arctic University of Norway (Tromso, Norway)
- Burcerius Law School (Hamburg, Germany)
- China University of Political Science and Law (Beijing, China)
- Laval University (Quebec, Canada)
- Lund University (Lund, Sweden)
- National University of Singapore (Singapore)
- Queens University of Belfast (Northern Ireland)
- Queensland University of Technology (Queensland, Australia)
- Tsinghua Law School (Beijing, China)
- University of Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain)
- University of Bergen (Bergen, Norway)
- University of Genoa (Genoa, Italy
- University of Limerick (Limerick, Ireland)
- University of Southampton (Southampton, U.K.)
- University of Witwatersrand (Johannesburg, South Africa)
- Victoria University of Wellington (Wellington, New Zealand)
- Vrije Universiteit (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
- Instituto Technologico de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, Escuela de Dercho (ITESM) (Monterrey, Mexico
- Universidad Panamericana (Mexico City, Mexico
- Southwestern Law School (California, U.S.)
- University of Arizona (Arizona, U.S.)
- University of Houston Law Centre (Texas, U.S.)
- George Washington University
Apply for an International Exchange
Exchanges are available during third year of study only, and eligibility is based on having a minimum B- cumulative average.
Selection is by lottery and based upon the student's selected preference.
An information session about available exchange opportunities is scheduled for January 30, 2020 12:30-1:30 pm in Room 305. The deadline for applications is noon February 6, 202.
Online exchange program application
Credit for participation cannot be received for more than one exchange program.
Students wishing to study away on a letter of permission for a year or a term at another Canadian law school must speak to the Associate Dean, Academic for more details. Note: Students who spend a term at another Canadian law school are not permitted to participate in an exchange program during the same academic year.