Bursaries & Scholarships
We're proud to offer one of the best law school financial aid programs in Canada
Each year, we award over $2 million to our students to help with the cost of legal education. Over 60% of our students receive financial aid of some form, so be sure you apply!
Our bursary and scholarship program typically starts in the second or third week of October, after you have registered for law school and have been in class for a few weeks.
Attend an information session
Tuesday, September 17, 2019
12:30 - 1:30
Attend a Q&A with the Student Finance Committee and learn more about the application and decision making process.
Can't attend the session? Check out the presentation.
See all of our scholarships and bursaries
The Schulich School of Law has many named bursary and scholarship awards available:
- Bursary and Scholarship Information Booklet 2019-2020 [PDF - 570 KB]
As you review the booklet, make note of any awards you wish to apply for when you complete your application form.
Schulich Scholarships for second- and third-year students:
- Approximately 30 Schulich Scholarships will be awarded in the 2019-2020 academic year to students in their second or third year of study.
- Schulich Scholarships for first-year students were awarded during the summer and are not considered with this group of applications.
- The Schulich Scholarships were made possible through a substantial donation by businessman and philanthropist Seymour Schulich of Toronto. The gift funds over 40 annual scholarships averaging $13,228 each.
- The Schulich Scholarships are not automatically renewable, but applicants may be considered for renewal in 2019-2020 [PDF 101 KB].
Get ready to apply
Before you apply, please review the following resources:
Before you begin the online bursary and scholarship application form, make sure you have gathered all the supporting documents required - you'll need them to fill out the application form.
NOTE: Once you begin the online application, you can't save it – you must complete it in its entirety. So it's best to be prepared!
If you are unable to finish it in one sitting, you will have to start over from the beginning. When you have completed your application, you will be asked to submit and review it, then asked to submit again, at which time you will be prompted to print a cover sheet that you will attach to your supporting documentation and deliver to the Reception Office, Room 122.
Making sure you have all the proper documents before you begin will make the process go much smoother.
- Applications open on September 18, 2019 at 1:30 PM
- The application deadline is October 9, 2019 at 3:30 PM
The awards below have a separate application process, and different application deadlines.
The J. William E. Mingo Memorial Scholarship for International Study
This is a one-year scholarship of $25,000 awarded annually to a student or graduate of the Schulich School of Law for graduate legal education outside of Canada. The scholarship was awarded for the first time in the spring of 2007.
The deadline to apply is December 27, 2019.
Please see the application form for more information.
The Honourable G.I. Smith Memorial Trust Award
This $2,500 award is an external award funded by Patterson Law. The application deadline is November 29, 2018.
For more information on the terms and conditions of this award or to find out how to apply, please see the award notice [PDF 72 KB].
Keep these dates in mind as you apply for scholarships and bursaries:
|Tuesday, September 17, 2019
12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
|Wednesday, October 9, 2019
3:30 p.m., Reception Office,
GI Smith Award deadline
|Friday, November 29, 2019|
Mingo Scholarship deadline
|Friday, December 27, 2019|
|Application review||Fall/Early Winter term|
|End of January|
|1st or 2nd week of February|