News» Go to news main
KUDOS! To alumnus Mr. Justice Paul Favel (LLB '95) on his FCC appointment
Congratulations to Paul Favel (LLB '95), QC, a partner at McKercher LLP in Saskatoon, on his appointment as a judge of the Federal Court effective Dec. 11. He will replace Mr. Justice J. Russell, who has elected to become a supernumerary judge.
Prior to his appointment, Favel was a partner at McKercher LLP in Saskatoon, specializing in Aboriginal law with an emphasis on corporate and commercial law related to First Nations development. In that role, he acted as legal counsel to various First Nations, advising them on issues such as land designations, leases for commercial developments, land claims, and self-government negotiations.
Favel has served as Deputy Chief Commissioner with the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission since 2011 and as a member of the Oversight Committee on the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement since 2010. In addition, he has taught First Nations economic development at the University of Saskatchewan's College of Law.
Favel obtained a BA from the University of Saskatchewan and a law degree from Dalhousie University. A member of both the Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia Bars, he was appointed Queen's Counsel for Saskatchewan in 2010. A member of Poundmaker Cree Nation, Favel maintains close connections with his community and served on the Band Council from 2012 to 2013.
- KUDOS! NSBS welcomes 62 new lawyers
- KUDOS! To Professor Bruce Archibald on his retirement
- In Memoriam: Charlotte Patricia Harris (LLB '57)
- Judges look to broaden their perspective by engaging African Nova Scotian community leaders
- KUDOS! Geordie Lounsbury receives 2018 Grad Class Ring
- In Memoriam: Retired professor and alumnus Peter Darby (LLB '58)
- In Memoriam: Former professor and alumnus Wylie Spicer (LLB '75)
- The recent Media & the Law Conference explored timely topics that impact journalists and the courts