News» Go to news main
KUDOS! Professor David VanderZwaag's Canada Research Chair has been renewed for seven years
Congratulations to Professor David VanderZwaag, whose Canada Research Chair in Ocean Law and Governance was renewed for an additional seven years on July 1, 2017.
VanderZwaag's research program aims to strengthen ocean law and governance at the global, regional, and national levels in support of sustainable seas and vibrant coastal communities. He is tracking and seeking to influence global efforts to negotiate a new international agreement for the conservation and sustainable use of marine biological diversity on the high seas.
This includes assessing the seaworthiness of the Paris Agreement, with a focus on whether climate change and ocean acidity threats to ocean ecosystems are being adequately addressed and advocating for the need for more comprehensive and precautionary approaches to control the long-range transport of pollutants into the marine environment, in light of Indigenous and human rights.
Click here to read the Dal News story highlighting all of the renewed Canada Research Chairs, plus three news ones.
- KUDOS! Visiting Assistant Professor Olabisi D. Akinkugbe and part‑time Professor and PhD candidate Colin Jackson accept tenure track offers
- KUDOS! Schulich School of Law Professor Jocelyn Downie invested as a Member of the Order of Canada
- KUDOS! Schulich School of Law professors receive a 2017 Nova Scotia Human Rights Award
- KUDOS! Alumna Angela Simmonds (LLB '16) receives 2017 Human Rights Award
- KUDOS! Alumni Julia Cornish (LLB '83) and Candace Thomas (LLB '95) honoured by CBA‑NS
- KUDOS! Professor Michael Deturbide reappointed a NSSC board member
- In Memoriam: Grand Chief Ben Sylliboy
- KUDOS! To alumnus Mr. Justice Paul Favel (LLB '95) on his FCC appointment