Associate Professor of Law; Associate Dean, Graduate Studies; Fellow, European Union Centre of Excellence; International Research Affiliate, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation
PO Box 15000 Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2
- Tax policy
- Business law
- Corporate transactions
- Corporate governance
- Ethics and professional responsibility
- Secured transactions
- BSc, Economics (Victoria)
- LLB (UBC)
- BCL (Oxford)
- DPhil (Oxford)
British Columbia, 2001
- Bowman National Tax Moot (LAWS 2245)
- Secured Transactions (LAWS 2204)
- Taxation of Corporations (LAWS 2106)
Areas of supervision: All areas of tax law and policy.
Professor Loomer's research interests and publications involve domestic and international tax policy, tax avoidance & evasion, tax administration, and corporate social responsibility.
Selected awards & honours
- 2013 - Dalhousie Law Students' Society & Alumni Association Award for Excellence in Teaching
- David G Duff & Geoffrey Loomer, Taxation of Business Organizations in Canada (Markham: LexisNexis Canada, 2015).
- Benjamin Alarie et al, Canadian Income Tax Law, 5th ed (Markham: LexisNexis Canada, 2015).
- Geoffrey Loomer, "Canada" (National Report) in Guglielmo Maisto, ed, Taxation of Intercompany Dividends under Tax Treaties and EU Law (Amsterdam: International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation, 2012) 467.
- Judith Freedman, Geoffrey Loomer & John Vella, "Analysing the Enhanced Relationship Between Corporate Taxpayers and Revenue Authorities: a U.K. Case Study" in Lynne Oats, ed, Taxation: A Fieldwork Research Handbook (Abingdon: Routledge, 2012) 178.
- Judith Freedman, Geoffrey Loomer & John Vella, "Corporate Tax Risk and Tax Avoidance: New Approaches" (2009) British Tax Review 74.
- Geoffrey Loomer, "The Vodafone Essar Dispute: Inadequate Tax Principles Create Difficult Choices for India" (2009) 21 National Law School of India Review 89.