The next step of your legal education

In Canada, articling follows the completion of a law degree and serves as a training year. The completion of this year qualifies you to be admitted as a practising member of a province’s law society. During the articling year you'll be  supervised by a member of the bar for that province, attend bar admission classes, and write the bar exam.

Students are often offered articling positions following a summer with a legal employer. If not, many firms conduct articling interviews during second year and the summer after second year. It is important to be prepared as this is different from other professions where you apply for work after you have completed your degree.

If you are looking for an articling position, there are many resources to help you. The Career Development Office has lists of firms that students can apply to, and there are many Internet resources available including the Quicklaw National Articling database and the National Association of Legal Professions (NALP).

Provincial Bar requirements

Each province in Canada has different requirements for admission to the Bar. Some require that you take certain courses while in law school, others simply require you to have completed law school. It is important to determine which provinces you might want to practice in and to review their requirements. These requirements change frequently. If in doubt contact the Bar Society for the province you are interested in. It is important to look into this early (before starting second year) as failing to do so may mean upgrading after your degree.

To article or practice in Québec a civil law degree (BCL) is required. Upgrading to a civil law degree can usually be accomplished in one year.

Please visit the appropriate provincial law society website for more information:





Ontario: Pathways to Lawyer Licensing Pilot Project

In 2014-15, the Law Society of Upper Canada began a pilot project allowing candidates to either complete articles or a Law Practice Program (LPP) in order to become licensed to practice law in Ontario.