Associate professor, Leisure Studies
Phone: (902) 494-1163
Fax: (902) 494-5120
6230 South Street, P.O. Box 15000
Halifax, N.S., B3H 4R2
- Leisure research
- Health promotion
- Stress and coping
Certificate in Therapeutic Recreation, Douglas College
Master of Arts (MA), Dalhousie
PhD, University of Georgia
- Coping and adjustment associated with disability, illness, and negative life events
- Leisure-based responses to chronic stress
- Leisure and health promotion/risk prevention
- Parenting practices associated with adolescent leisure
- Leisure and marginalized populations
- Leisure and older women
Selected recent publications
- Kleiber, D. A., Nimrod, G., & Hutchinson, S. L. (accepted, 2011). Reconstructing leisure in adapting to chronic illness in later life: Emotional and behavioural strategies. International Journal of Disability and Human Development, 10(2).
- Unruh, A., & Hutchinson, S. L. (accepted, 2011). Embedded spirituality: Gardening in daily life and stressful life experiences. Accepted for publication in the Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences.
- Nimrod, G., & Hutchinson, S. L. (2010). Innovation among older adults with
chronic health conditions. Journal of Leisure Research, 42, 1-23.
- Montgomery, E., Booth, R., & Hutchinson, S. L. (2009). From a focus on function to rediscovering the self: A case study of an individual with post-stroke depression. Therapeutic Recreation Journal, 43(4), 25-41.
- Sanford-Son, J. & Hutchinson, S. L. (2009). Conceptualizing leisure self-care in
an exploratory study of American Indian elders’ leisure. Leisure/Loisir, 33(2), 479-509.