Congratulations to Dr. Jeff Karabanow and his new book, Homeless Youth and the Search for Stability.» Go to news main
Congratulations to Dr. Jeff Karabanow on the publication of his new book, Homeless Youth and the Search for Stability
Youth are one of the fastest growing segments of the homeless population. Although there has been much research on how youth become homeless and survive on the streets, we know very little about their pathways off the street and the many challenges that present during this process.
This book relates the lived experiences of homeless youth as they negotiate the individual, sociocultural, and economic tensions of transitioning out of homeless and street contexts and cultures. Through interviews the authors gained privileged entry into the lives of youth in Toronto and Halifax over a year-long period.
Through rich qualitative prose, quantitative elaboration, and comic-book narratives, participants spoke of courage, fortitude, strength, adversity, and at times, simple bad luck. Ultimately this became a story of fragility, complexity, living “on the edge,” and the (re)-building of identity.
Available at amazon.ca.
- From Seed to Impact: Sharing Stories of Struggle, Resistance & Resilience in the Fight For Justice
- Jeff Karabanow CTV Interview on Housing and Homelessness
- Congratulations to the Dalhousie University Social Work Community Clinic
- Read the Canadian Social Work Review article about the story of the Dalhousie University School of Social Work Community Clinic
- Counselling Skills Level 1 Registration is Open
- Dr. Jeff Karabanow was awarded the 150 Canadian Senate Commemorative Medal for his community‑based research and community development work in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Celebrate Social Work Month
- Caring for Community