Professor and Associate Director; Research
PO Box 15000
College of Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical policy
- Drug safety
- Pharmacy practice
- BSc(Pharm) (U Toronto)
- PharmD (Minn)
- MPA(HSA) (Dalhousie)
- Clinical Toxicology Residency (UTennesse)
She founded a unit, Initiative for Medication Management, Policy Analysis, Research and Training, which conducts research on professional, regulatory, financial and organizational factors affecting the medication management system to improve its safety, effectiveness and affordability. Her research involves: identifying gaps in appropriate drug use and evaluating strategies to improve these.
Selected awards and honours
- Pfizer/AFPC Research Career Award, Association of Faculties of Pharmacy of Canada, 2010
- Distinguished Practitioner of the American National Academies of Practice in Pharmacy, 2009
- Hill-Taylor, B, Walsh, KA, Stewart, S, Hayden, J, Byrne, S, Sketris, IS. Effectiveness of the STOPP/START (Screening Tool of Older Persons’ Potentially inappropriate Prescriptions/Screening Tool to Alert doctors to the Right Treatment) criteria: Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled studies. J.Clini Pharm Ther. 2016 Mar 17. doi: 10.1111/jcpt.12372.
- Black E, Sketris I, Skedgel C, MacLean E, Hanly JG. Adherence to guidelines and the Screening Tool of Older Persons’ Potentially inappropriate Prescriptions criteria for colchicine dosing for gout treatment in beneficiaries of the Nova Scotia Seniors’ Pharmacare Program. Clin Ther. 2015 Oct 1;37(10):2339-46. doi: 10.1016/j.clinthera.2015.08.016. Epub 2015 Sep 29.
- Mossialos, E, Courtin, E, Naci, H, Benrimoj, S, Bouvy, M, Farris, K, Noyce, P, Sketris, I. “From “Retailers” to health care providers: Transforming the role of community pharmacists in chronic disease management. Health Policy. 2015 May; 119(5):628-39, doi: 10.1016/j.healthpol.2015.02.007. Epub 2015 Feb 19.
- Conrad P, Sketris IS, Langille-Ingram E. Participants’ perceptions of a multidisciplinary training program for graduate and postgraduate students in drug use management and policy. Am J Pharm Educ. 2013 Jun 12;77(5):102. doi: 10.5688/ajpe775102.
- Hill-Taylor BJ, Hurley KF, Sketris IS, O'Connell C, Sinclair D, Wing A. Evaluating a clinical practice intervention to promote delivery of salbutamol by metered-dose inhalers with holding chambers in a pediatric emergency department. CJEM. 2013 Mar 1;15(2):101-8.