Professor and Associate Director; Research
PO Box 15000
College of Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical policy
- Drug safety
- Pharmacy practice
- BSc(Pharm) (U Toronto)
- PharmD (Minn)
- MPA(HSA) (Dalhousie)
- Clinical Toxicology Residency (UTennesse)
She founded a unit, Initiative for Medication Management, Policy Analysis, Research and Training, which conducts research on professional, regulatory, financial and organizational factors affecting the medication management system to improve its safety, effectiveness and affordability. Her research involves: identifying gaps in appropriate drug use and evaluating strategies to improve these.
Selected awards and honours
- 2016 Dalhousie University Research Professor. The honorary title, with a five-year term, recognized. Sketris ability to conduct relevant and rigorous research to inform clinical practice and policy. Dalhousie University Professor honorary title given to up to 15 total professors, recognizes research excellence.
- 2019. Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health, 30th Anniversary Medal. One of 10 Canadians to receive this award. https://www.cadth.ca/cadth-anniversary-medal
- 2019. International Society of Pharmacoepidemiology (ISPE) Fellowship. ISPE has 2650 members of whom 125 are fellows – 15 from Canada.
- Sketris IS, Carter N, Traynor RL, Watts D, Kelly K; Building a framework for the evaluation of knowledge translation for the Canadian Network for Observational Drug Effect Studies. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2019 Feb 20. DOI: 10.1002/pds.4738. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 30788900
- Trenaman SC, Hill-Taylor BJ, Matheson KJ, Gardner DM, Sketris IS. Antipsychotic Drug Dispensations in Older Adults, Including Continuation After a Fall-Related Hospitalization: Identifying Adherence to Screening Tool of Older Persons' Potentially Inappropriate Prescriptions Criteria Using the Nova Scotia Seniors' Pharmacare Program and Canadian Institute for Health's Discharge Databases. Curr Ther Res Clin Exp. 2018 Aug 31; 89: 27-36.
- Black E, Neville H, Losier M, Harrison M, Abbass K, Slayter K, et al. Can J Hosp Antimicrobial Use at Acute Care Hospitals in Nova Scotia: A Point Prevalence Survey. Pharm. 2018 Jul-Aug; 71(4): 234-242. Epub 2018 Aug 28.
- Black E, Sketris I, Skedgel C, MacLean E, Hanly JG. Adherence to guidelines and the Screening Tool of Older Persons’ Potentially inappropriate Prescriptions criteria for colchicine dosing for gout treatment in beneficiaries of the Nova Scotia Seniors’ Pharmacare Program. Clin Ther. 2015 Oct 1;37(10):2339-46. doi: 10.1016/j.clinthera.2015.08.016. Epub 2015 Sep 29.
- Mossialos, E, Courtin, E, Naci, H, Benrimoj, S, Bouvy, M, Farris, K, Noyce, P, Sketris, I. “From “Retailers” to health care providers: Transforming the role of community pharmacists in chronic disease management. Health Policy. 2015 May; 119(5):628-39, doi: 10.1016/j.healthpol.2015.02.007. Epub 2015 Feb 19.