- BSc(Pharm) (Dalhousie)
- MSc (Dalhousie)
- PhD (Miss)
My research is focused on evaluating the efficacy and safety of natural health products, specifically in the area of women’s health. We are particularly interested in the impact that product content can have on efficacy. We use systematic review methodology to guide the critical appraisal of published trials.
Selected awards and honours
- Pharmacotherapy Best Practice Award, Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists (Feb 2011)
- Whelan, AM, Jurgens T and Trinacty M. Bioidentical progesterone cream for menopause-related vasomotor symptoms: Is it effective? Ann Pharmacother 2013; 47:112-116. doi:10.1345/aph.1R362 PMID:23249728
- Jurgens TM, Whelan AM, Killian L, Doucette S, Kirk S, Foy E. Green tea for weight loss and weight maintenance in overweight or obese adults [Review]. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, Issue 12. Art. No.: CD008650. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD008650.pub2. PMID: 23235664
- Whelan, AM, Thebeau, JP, Jurgens T, Hurst, E. Bioidentical Hormone Therapy: Nova Scotia Pharmacists' Knowledge and Beliefs. Pharm Pract (Internet) 2012;10(3):159-167.
- Jurgens T. Whelan AM. Do natural health products work? A tool to systematically evaluate the evidence. Pharmacy Practice July 1, 2012.
- T Jurgens, AM Whelan, M MacDonald, L Lord. Development and evaluation of an instrument for the critical appraisal of randomized controlled trials of natural products. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2009, 9:11. Doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-9-11 PMID:19389240