Anne Marie Whelan
Professor and Associate Director; Program Evaluation
PO Box 15000
College of Pharmacy
- Women's health
- Emergency contraception
- Pharmacy service
- Pharmacy education
- Program evaluation
- BSc(Pharm) (Dalhousie)
- PharmD (MUSC)
Dr. Whelan is involved in collaborative research examining questions of relevance to pharmacy practice that produces results that can be integrated, in terms of practical application, to practice and education. Dr. Whelan’s primary program of research is women’s health with additional work in the areas of pharmacy education, program evaluation, and pharmacy practice.
Selected awards and honours
- AFPC/PEBC Award for Excellence in Research or Innovation in Assessment of Competence, June 2016.
- Certificate of Honor from Pharmacy Examing Board of Canada in recognition of service as a Board Member, 2009-2015.
- Faculty of Health Professions Teaching Excellence Award, April 2011
- Whelan AM, Cox D, Mansour S. An evaluation of 18 years of use of a progress exam at the Dalhousie College of Pharmacy. Pharmacy Education 2016; 16(1): 218-29.
- Black A, Guilbert E, Costescu D, Dunn S, Fisher W, Kives S, et al. Canadian Contraception Consensus (Part 2 of 4). J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2015;37(11):S1-S39. (AM Whelan is 13th co-author – coauthors listed in alphabetical order)
- Whelan AM, Langille DB, Hurst E. Nova Scotia pharmacists’ knowledge of, experiences with and perceptions of factors interfering with their ability to provide emergency contraceptive pill consultations. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 2013;21:314-21.
- Jurgens TM, Whelan AM, Killian L, Doucette S, Kirk S, Foy E. Green tea for weight loss and weight maintenance in overweight or obese adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012;Issue 12.Art.No.:CD008650. DOI:10.1002/146518558.CD008650.pub2.
- Jorgenson D, Muller A, Whelan AM. Pharmacist educators in family medicine residency programs: A qualitative analysis. BMC Medical Education 2012;12:74.