List of Publications [PDF - 383kB]
- Fatique Management
- Chronic Chronic Management
- Self Management
- Occupational Therapy
Visiting Professor, Radboud University Medical Centre, Netherlands
Visiting Professor, HAN University, Netherlands
Adjunct Professor, School of Nursing, Dalhousie
Adjunct Professor, University of the Southern Caribbean
- BSc(OT), University of Western Ontario
- MSc, Queen’s University
- PhD, Queen’s University
My research focuses on ways to improve the health and participation of people with long term conditions. This includes design and testing of self-management interventions, health education and policy reform. Working with partners and research trainees, current projects are focused on complex conditions, fatigue management, measurement of self-management, vision rehabilitation and serious health games. Our work is interdisciplinary, collaborative and often conducted in conjunction with community agencies.
Selected publications (2015-16)
- Audulv, A. Packer, T.L., Hutchinson, S., Rogers, K., Versnel, J. & Kephart, G. (2016) Coping, adapting or self-managing: A concept review of three important constructs in managing a neurological condition. Journal of Advanced Nursing. [Epub ahead of print] oi: 10.1111/jan.13037
- Chung, E. & Packer, T. (2016) Outcomes and impact of community-based rehabilitation programs in Chinese communities. Disability and Rehabilitation 25:1-5 [Epub ahead of print] DOI: 10.3109/09638288.2016.1161850.
- Packer, T.L., Kephart, G., Ghahari, S., Audulv, A., Versnel, J., Warner, G. (2015) the Patient Activation Measure: a validation study in a neurological population. Quality of Life Research. Published online Jan 6, 2015. DOI: 10.1007/s11136-014-0908-0.
- Piek, J.P., Kane, R., Rigoli, D., McLaren, S., Roberts, C., Rooney, R., Jensen, L., Dender, A., Packer, T. & Straker, L. (2015) Does the Animal Fun program improve mental health outcomes in children aged 4-6 years? Human Movement Science 43:155-163.
- Ghahari, S., Packer, T., Body, D., Melling, L., Parsons R. (2015) Comparing effectiveness of generic and disease specific self-management interventions for people with diabetes in a practice context. Canadian Journal of Diabetes 9(5):420-427.
- Weeks, L. E., Villeneuve, M. A., Hutchinson, S., Roger, K., Versnel, J., & Packer, T. (2015) What we learned about mentoring research assistants employed with a complex mixed methods health study. Canadian Journal of Higher Education: 45(4): 207-228.
- Warner, G., Packer, T., Villeneuve, M., Audulv, A., & Versnel, J. (2015) A systematic review of the effectiveness of stroke self-management programs for improving function and participation outcomes: self-management programs for stroke survivors. Disability and Rehabilitation 37(23):2141-2163. DOI: 10.3109/09638288.2014.996674.
Selected awards and honours
- Dr. Jane Gillett, Research Award. Brain Injury Association of Canada, 2013
- Appreciate Award, Multiple Sclerosis Society of Western Australia, 2009
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Curtin University, 2006
- College of Occupational Therapists of Nova Scotia
- Nova Scotia Society of Occupational Therapists