Nursing in the North
Dalhousie partners with the Nunavut Arctic College to offer the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Arctic Nursing) program in Iqaluit, Nunavut.
The curriculum emphasizes awareness and respect for Inuit culture and prepares graduates as entry-level practitioners able to work in the following settings:
- Long-term care facilities
- Community-based agencies
Learn more about the BScN (Arctic Nursing) program at Nunavut Arctic College.
Students complete a four-year BScN (Arctic Nursing) program and receive a degree from Dalhousie.
Graduates of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Arctic Nursing) program will have the necessary knowledge, judgement and skills to write the National Council Licensure Examination- Registered Nurse (NCLEX-RN). Upon successful completion of the NCLEX-RN graduates are eligible for registration in any province or territory.
Applicants to the BScN (Arctic Nursing) program must meet the following criteria:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have an academic grade 12 diploma with a 70% overall average and with credits in Math, Science and English (minimum 70% in subject areas)
- Be a resident of Nunavut for at least 1 year
Applicants must submit the following:
- Letter of interest indicating why applicant is interested in the BScN program
- Three letters of reference (from employers, teachers, health professionals or health committee members)
- High school/college transcript
- Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check (CRC/VSS)
Admission to the nursing program is based upon eligibility requirements and the applicant's application information. Personal suitability may be determined through an interview with the program faculty.
Admission is subject to space availability and admissions are reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
Priority will be given to eligible beneficiaries of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement and graduates from Nunavut Secondary Schools.
Contact the Registrar:
Nunavut Arctic College
Iqualit, NU X0A 0H0
Phone (toll-free): 1-866-979-7222
The Pre-Health Program is an eight-month program that provides Inuit and northern residents the opportunity to prepare academically for study in health-care fields such as Nursing.
Applicants must have a grade 12 diploma or equivalent. To apply, contact your local adult educator or high school counsellor.
You may also contact the
Registrar Nunatta Campus,
Nunavut Arctic College
Iqaluit, NU X0A 0H0