Community of Two‑Spirit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (2SLGBTQ) Students in Nursing (2SLGBTQSN)
Group Description: The Community of Two-Spirit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (2SLGBTQ) Students in Nursing (C2SLGBTQSN) is a group within the School of Nursing created by and for students who identify as members of the 2SLGBTQ communities. The group is open to students in all levels of the nursing program (undergraduate and graduate), prospective nursing students (from other programs, Transition Year Program, Practical Nursing program) as well as recent graduates. The group seeks to challenge hetero- and cissexist assumptions and biases that render our experiences invisible, abnormal, or pathological. We will work to dismantle systems of oppression that support discriminations against us and other equity-seeking groups by taking an intersectional approach that is inclusive of the full-range of diversity found within the 2SLGBTQ communities.
Rationale: The success of 2SLGBTQ students is often undermined by heteronormative and cissexist curricula. Additionally, in predominantly heteronormative and cisnormative institutions, 2SLGBTQ are rendered invisible in the classroom and in the curricula. 2SLGBTQ students that have completed or are in the process of completing their nursing degree have indicated that this group will enhance the success of existing equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives at SoN and Dalhousie University more broadly.
Goal of the Group: To offer and provide support for 2SLGBTQ students in the nursing program at Dalhousie University.
Objectives of the Group:
Personal Development: To provide a safe space for students to discuss learning-related concerns or issues that negatively impact persons in the nursing profession who identify as members of the 2SLGBTQ communities.
- Research: To have focused discussion on how to become more involved with research and scholarly activities (conferences, presentations and publications).
- Community Outreach: To develop and foster strong connections and relationships within SoN, Dalhousie University, and other community stakeholders.
- Mentorship: To facilitate communication and support between 2SLGBTQ students across nursing programs.
- Academics: To share and discuss opportunities for advancing education, with a particular interest in strategies for academic success.
- Professional Development: To discuss concerns related to licensing, registration, examination and other practice related topics.
Format: There are two meetings per month. One meeting per month is closed to members who self-identify as members of the 2SLGBTQ communities. The other meeting is open to members who self-identify as 2SLGBTQ as well as those who seek to operate in solidarity with the C2SLGBTQSN as allies. Meetings are held on Fridays from 1130-1230 and emails are typically sent out to all nursing students 2-3 days prior to the meeting.
Alignment with School of Nursing Priorities: The School of Nursing advances health and social justice by educating nurses to be leaders; generating, translating and applying nursing knowledge; and informing and influencing health-related public policy, practice and planning.