Community of Two‑Spirit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (2SLGBTQ) Students in Nursing (2SLGBTQSN)
(Adapted from the Community of Black Students in Nursing’s group description with permission)
Group Description: The Community of Two-Spirit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (2SLGBTQ) Students in Nursing (C2SLGBTQSN) is a group within the School of Nursing created by and for students who identify as members of the 2SLGBTQ communities. The group is open to students in all levels of the nursing program (undergraduate and graduate), prospective nursing students (from other programs, Transition Year Program, Practical Nursing program) as well as recent graduates. The group seeks to offer a queer perspective to existing diversity initiatives at the School of Nursing (SoN) and Dalhousie University more broadly. By emerging from a specific gap in experience within the nursing profession, we will work to render non-conforming sexual orientations and gender identities visible in a profession that has and continues to be grounded in hetero and cissexist understandings of health.
Rationale: 2SLGBTQ have unique needs that are often negated by heteronormative and cissexist curricula. Additionally, in predominantly heteronormative and cisnormative institutions, 2SLGBTQ are rendered invisible in the classroom and in the curricula. 2SLGBTQ students that have completed or are in the process of completing their nursing degree have indicated that this group will enhance the success of existing diversity and inclusion initiative at SoN and Dalhousie University more broadly.
Goal of the Group: To offer and provide support for 2SLGBTQ in the nursing program at Dalhousie University.
Objectives of the Group:
- Personal Development: To provide a safe space for students to discuss concerns or issues related to identifying as a member of the 2SLGBTQ communities in the nursing profession.
- Research: To have focused discussion on how to become more involved with research and scholarly activities (conferences, presentations and publications).
- Community Outreach: To develop and foster strong connections and relationships within SoN, Dalhousie University, and other community stakeholders.
- Mentorship: To facilitate communication and support between 2SLGBTQ across programs.
- Academics: To share and discuss opportunities for continuing education as well as strategies for academic success.
- Professional Development: To discuss concerns related to licensing, registration, examination and other practice related topics.
Format: There are two meetings per month. One meeting per month is closed to members who self-identify as 2SLGBTQ. The other meeting is open to members who self-identify as 2SLGBTQ as well as allies. Meetings are held on Fridays from 1130-1230 and emails are typically sent out to all nursing students 2-3 days prior to the meeting.
Alignment with School of Nursing Priorities: The School of Nursing advances health and social justice by educating nurses to be leaders; generating, translating and applying nursing knowledge; and informing