- BA, Linguistics, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- PhD, Experimental Phonetics, University of Alberta
- Speech perception and production
- Signal processing in speech research
- Hearing aid and cochlear implant processing strategies
- Auditory physiology
- Auditory feedback in speech production
- Speech processing
- HUCD 5050: Fundamentals of Speech Science
- HUCD 5020: Phonetics
- HUCD 6630: Cochlear Implants and Other Implantable Technologies
- Alian, W., Majdalawieh, O., Kiefte, M., Ejnell, H., and Bance, M. (2013). “The effect of increased stiffness of the incudostapedial joint on the transmission of air-conducted sound by the human middle ear,” Otol. Neurotol. 34, 1503–1509.
- Kluender, K. R., Stilp, C. E., and Kiefte, M. (2013). “Perception of vowel sounds within a biologically realistic model of efficient coding,” in Vowel Inherent Spectral Change, edited by G. Morrison and P. F. Assmann (Springer), pp. 117–151.
- Chiddenton, K. and Kiefte, M. (2013). “Perception of vowel-inherent spectral change,” Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics 19, 60 279–60 284.
- Hubbard, D., Kiefte, M., Hossain, S., and Assmann, P. (2013). “A developmental study of vowels spoken in syllables and in sentence context,” Proceedings of Meetings on Acous- tics 19, 60 070–60 075.
- Kiefte, M. and Nearey, T. (2013). “Modelling of vowel-inherent spectral change in spontaneous and elicited speech,” Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics 19, 60 280–60 288.
- Kiefte, M., Nearey, T. M., and Assmann, P. F. (2012). "Vowel perception in normal speakers," in Handbook of Vowels and Vowel Disorders, edited by M. J. Ball and F. Gibbon (Psychology Press), p. 160.
- Stilp, C. E., Kiefte, M., Alexander, J. M., and Kluender, K. R. (2010). "Cochlea-scaled spectral entropy predicts rate-invariant intelligibility of temporally distorted sentences," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 128, 2112-2126.
- Kiefte, M., Enright, T., and Marshall, L. (2010). "The role of formant amplitude in the perception of /i/ and /u/," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 127, 2611-2621.
- Kiefte, M. and Kay-Raining Bird, E. (2010). "The Americas and the Caribbean: Canadian Maritimes," in The Lesser-Known Varieties of English, edited by D. Schreier, P. Trudgill, E. Schneider, and J. Williams (Cambridge University Press), pp. 59--71.
- Stilp, C. E., Alexander, J. M., Kiefte, M., and Kluender, K. R. (2010). "Auditory color constancy: Calibration to reliable spectral properties across nonspeech context and targets," Atten. Percept. Psychophys. 72, 470-480.
- Kiefte, M. and Kluender, K. R. (2008). "Absorption of reliable spectral characteristics in auditory perception," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 123, 366-376.
- Kiefte, M. and Armson, J. (2008). "Dissecting choral speech: Properties of the accompanist critical to stuttering reduction," J. Comm. Disord. 41, 33-48.
- Kiefte, M. and Kluender, K. R. (2005) "Pattern Playback revisited: Unvoiced stop consonant perception," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 118, 2599-2606.
- Kiefte, M. and Kluender, K. R. (2005) "The relative importance of spectral tilt in monophthongs and diphthongs," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 117, 1395-1404.
Honours and awards
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Insight Development Grant, 2010-13, "Phonetic Survey of Nova Scotia Dialects of English."
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Insight Development Grant, 2003-07, "The Relationship Between Vocal Pitch and Formant Frequencies in Speech Production and Perception"