Considering a school for graduate studies can seem like an overwhelming task. Here are some tips and resources that may help make the process easier:
- View a list of graduate programs offered at Dalhousie - We are the premier Maritime location for advanced study, with over 90 master's and 40 doctoral programs.
- Visit Dalhousie's Graduate Admissions Page - Admission requirements, documentation, and deadlines vary by program.
- Admission Requirements - Make sure to review both the general admission requirements as well as any requirements specific to your degree.
- Application Deadlines - Review the application deadline. Please note that some departments have earlier deadlines than the standard FGS deadlines.
- Documents and Contacts - Many programs require additional documents, such as a personal statements and/or curriculum vitae. You will also need to know the official university email address of your academic references prior to submitting your application.
- Review information for international applicants - if you are from a country other than Canada.
- Research Potential Supervisors - Visit faculty profiles on departmental sites and contact them if you are interested in their work.
- Consider Costs and Funding Opportunities - There are numerous potential scholarships, fellowships, and bursaries that can help fund your graduate education.
Dalhousie requires you to fill out an application online and send hard copies of the necessary documentation directly to departments. Departments will review applications initially and make a recommendation to FGS. FGS will then check that students meet all the necessary requirements before making a final decision on whether to accept the student or not. This process can take anywhere from 1-2 months to complete.
FGS can tell you the status of your application (i.e., where it is in the process). However, according to regulations, we are not permitted to reveal the final decision of application review except through the official decision letter mailed out by the Registrar's Office.
Deferred Start Date
With the approval of FGS and your department, you can defer your start date once within a 12-month period of your original start date. If you wish to defer your start date, please contact your department.
Still have questions?
Please feel free to contact us.