Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship program is designed to support world-class postdoctoral researchers. The fellowship provides $70,000 per year for two years. The program is open to both Canadian and international researchers who have recently completed a PhD, PhD- equivalent, or health professional degree. Applications must be completed in full collaboration with the proposed host institution.
You are strongly encouraged to collaborate directly with your intended supervisors when preparing your application. Dalhousie conducts a rigorous internal review process over the month of August, providing feedback to shortlisted candidates and their supervisor(s)/host departments. Applicants are expected to integrate this feedback and finalize their applications in early September to allow for final review.
Application procedures and deadlines
A Banting application package is to be submitted to the Dalhousie’s Faculty of Graduate Studies online by Monday, August 3rd at 4:00pm AST NO EXCEPTIONS. All documents must be formatted in keeping with the presentation standards for attached documents as set out by Banting.
Incomplete or ineligible applications or applications that do not conform to the Banting presentation standards for attached documents will be considered ineligible for institutional endorsement and will not be forwarded to the adjudication committee for review.
For the purpose of the Dalhousie Internal Banting Competition, referee assessments are not required. However, applicants will be given an option to provide the names and email addresses of referees if they wish to have those assessments considered as part of the internal process.
If selected for institutional endorsement, applicants will be provided with a completed Institutional Letter of Endorsement via email no later than Thursday, September 24, 2020.
Internal application requirements
Documents included in your internal application package must include:
- Canadian Common CV (Vanier-Banting Academic Template)
- ResearchNet Application Details (see how to export your application details from ResearchNet)
- Names and contact information of your referees if you wish to have their assessments included in the internal review process
- The Title of Research Proposal, Lay title, and Lay abstract
- Significance of research contributions
- Significance of leadership contributions
- Fulfillment of Degree Requirements Form
- If applicable, Special circumstances
- Research Proposal
- Supervisor's Statement
- Thoroughly review the requirements of the application, research proposal, and supervisor statement requirements. Page maximums are strictly enforced, and missing content will reflect poorly on application reviews.
- Arms-length referees must meet the requirements identified in the Banting Application guidelines, and are ideally recognized international experts in the intended area of research. Be sure to provide sufficient time for an arms-length referee to review your research proposal prior to the August 1st deadline.
- Provide referees with a link to the Information for Referees site. The Banting competition is competitive at an international level, with successful applicants often already being identified as leaders in their field by referees. Generic reference letters are strongly discouraged and will negatively affect application support.
- For complete detals on eligibility requirements and the application process, please visit the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship website.
Competition launch: June 1, 2020
ResearchNet portal opening: June 15, 2020
Dalhousie's internal deadline: August 3, 2020
Deadline for submission of selected applicants to Banting: October 1, 2020 (20:00 ET)
Instructions for exporting application details from ResearchNet
Within your ResearchNet site:
- Under Banting Postdoctoral Fellows Program
- Apply for Funding section
- Go to Tasks
- Click on Preview (6th item on the list)
- Under Application Materials
- Click on Preview in Application Details (should generate a PDF file)
- Save the file.