News» Go to news main
FGS notice: New online resource to support your mental health
To: Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Fellows
From: Marty Leonard, Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies and David Pilon, Director of Counselling & Psychological Services
Date: Thursday, February 11th, 2021
Re: New online resource to support your mental health
Dear Students and Postdoctoral Fellows,
We are happy to inform you that, as a Dalhousie graduate student or postdoctoral fellow, you now have exclusive free access to a new coach-assisted online platform to support your mental health. Developed by Dr. Alissa Pencer, a senior instructor in Dalhousie’s Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, the Tranquility online platform provides guided therapy that helps users challenge negative thoughts and behaviours that lead to mild or moderate anxiety and depression.
Tranquility will support you with a series of skill-building modules, access to online messaging support, and 30 minutes of video or phone sessions with a personal coach each week. You will find more information about how to access the Tranquility platform on Dalhousie’s Health and Wellness website. To obtain free access, please register by April 8, 2021.
More resources to support your mental health
Tranquility joins several mental health resources for students offered by Student Health & Wellness, all of which are now provided virtually.
- The Graduate Student Drop-in Group is a weekly support group for students wanting to connect with others and learn skills for managing stress.
- Same-day counselling is also available through the Student Health & Wellness Centre. Appointments open up at 8:00 a.m. every day and can be booked online.
- Students also have access to Good2Talk, a telephone and texting counselling service available 24/7/365.
- For students living abroad, the Remote International Health Program gives them access to counselling in their home country.
- Other mental health supports and resources, including online resiliency and mental health programs, can be found at dal.ca/mentalhealth.
We hope these resources will be helpful.
Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies
Director of Counselling & Psychological Services
- Announcement: Faculty of Graduate Studies office re‑opening on Monday, August 30
- NSERC Virtual Scholarships and Fellowships information session
- Introducing the BIPOC Graduate Student Mentoring Academy
- Join our team: Part‑time job opportunities for grad students
- Medicine PhD student named among 2021 Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholars
- OUR GLOBAL COMMUNITY: MEET KARLA VALENZUELA
- OUR GLOBAL COMMUNITY: MEET SALMA ALMUKHAINI
- OUR GLOBAL COMMUNITY: MEET EDITH UBA