News» Go to news main
Message from the Dean: Mental health supports
A message from Marty Leonard, Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies:
This time of year can be tough. We see less of the sun, and courses and research ramp up. COVID-19 has also limited our ability to connect in person and forced us to spend more time online. It’s a mix that can leave many of us feeling exhausted and stressed.
I wanted to take a moment to assure you that you’re not alone. Graduate students experience unique mental health challenges and the percentage of those who report needing support is significant.
This is why our partners at Dalhousie Student Health and Wellness have created an online weekly Graduate Student Drop-In Support Group specifically for your needs, beginning today at 12 p.m.
The group, facilitated by professional counsellors Drs. Susan Lavoie and Heather Patterson, will focus on the needs of those who attend and cover topics like imposter syndrome, procrastination, school/life balance and supervisory relationships. You’ll connect with other grad students and learn from each other's experiences.
To register, write to SHWgroups@dal.ca. Once you are registered, you will be able to attend sessions every week.
It is also important to note that Dalhousie provides a variety of other health and wellness supports and resources to help you maintain your well-being, including:
- Same day counselling appointments (See under the heading “Types of appointments”);
- Peer support opportunities; and
- Online mental health support.
If you feel like you could use support, please don’t wait.
Dean Marty Leonard
Faculty of Graduate Studies
- VPRI review
- Announcement: Faculty of Graduate Studies office re‑opening on Monday, August 30
- NSERC Virtual Scholarships and Fellowships information session
- Introducing the BIPOC Graduate Student Mentoring Academy
- Join our team: Part‑time job opportunities for grad students
- Medicine PhD student named among 2021 Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholars
- OUR GLOBAL COMMUNITY: MEET KARLA VALENZUELA
- OUR GLOBAL COMMUNITY: MEET SALMA ALMUKHAINI