News» Go to news main
Grad student profile: Lina Garcia Suarez, PhD in Oceanography
Name: Lina Garcia Suarez
Hometown: Cali, Colombia
Program: PhD, Department of Oceanography
This interview has been edited for length and clarity.
What made you choose Dalhousie?
Dalhousie is very strong in Oceanography. I contacted a professor, Katja Fennel, and she agreed to be my supervisor. I arrived in June to study English for Academic Purposes before beginning my program.
What advice would you give to a fellow Colombian coming to Dalhousie to do their PhD?
Look up all the scholarship opportunities - there's a lot available to international students.
How have you found the research environment at Dalhousie?
The Oceanography professors are very famous and have a lot of experience. The facilities here are great, like the Steele Ocean Sciences Building.
What's your favourite thing about studying at Dalhousie?
I like going to Dalplex [Dalhousie's new, state-of-the-art gym facility].
How do you find Halifax's weather?
I've only been here a few months, so I haven't experienced winter yet! The summer has been really nice.
What do you enjoy most about Halifax and/or Nova Scotia?
Halifax is a small city, but you can find anything - cinemas, supermarkets - and the traffic is very good. I love the public transportation.
What's something you like to do here that you can't do in Colombia?
Colombia can be a dangerous place - I like that I can walk everywhere and feel safe.
What are your post-graduation plans?
I want to go back to Colombia and share my knowledge - maybe as a university professor.
- Medicine PhD student named among 2021 Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholars
- OUR GLOBAL COMMUNITY: MEET KARLA VALENZUELA
- OUR GLOBAL COMMUNITY: MEET SALMA ALMUKHAINI
- OUR GLOBAL COMMUNITY: MEET EDITH UBA
- FGS notice: New online resource to support your mental health
- FGS notice: PASS/ILL grading options for graduate students
- FGS notice: Supporting grad students' mental health
- Message from the Dean: Mental health supports