News» Go to news main
OERA Open Call Program
The Offshore Energy Research Association (OERA) has an 'Open Call Program' available two (2) times per year for potential research funding in the areas of marine renewable energy, petroleum geosciences and seismic & marine sound.
The OERA is an independent, not-for-profit contract research organization that was established in 2006, capitalized by the Nova Scotia Department of Energy, to support offshore geoscience, environmental and marine renewable energy research and development. OERA's mission is to lead offshore environmental, renewable and petroleum & related energy research that enables the sustainable & responsible development of Nova Scotia offshore energy resources through strategic partnerships with academia, government and industry. Their purpose is to reduce the risks and uncertainty related to investments in Nova Scotia’s offshore energy resources through the provision of scientific and applied research initiatives.
Upcoming Open Call Proposal Intake Due: July 17, 2017 - 4:00 pm AST
- Program rationale is to capture modestly budgeted research projects that fall outside OERA’s standard competitive research calls/ RFP processes.
- Proposals accepted two times per year, specifically the 15th of January and 17th of July each year. Proposals not received by these specified due dates will be carried forward to the next intake.
- Proposed research must fall within one of marine geosciences, marine renewables (tidal), or seismic/marine sound.
- Key program driver is to build research capacity in Nova Scotia. Applications that include skills development of students or recent graduates are more favourably reviewed.
- Proposals are vetted by a team of external peer reviewers with funding recommendations made to the OERA Board of Directors. Recommendations must be approved by the Board.
- Proposed work supports and/or advances an OERA research priority area. *Prospective applicants should check the priority research areas as per this link for updates or specialized interest areas prior to starting their application.
- Proposal budget request to OERA is a maximum of $20,000 CAD per project (inclusive of academic institutional overhead).
- Project leveraging (cash and/or in kind) and collaborative initiatives, strongly encouraged.
- Minimum 50% of proposed budget to be spent in Nova Scotia.
- Project duration to be approximately (+/-) one year.
Eligible Budget Items:
- Student (undergrad, Masters, PhD) or recent graduate stipends.
- Other salaried personnel to a maximum 50%.
- Modest equipment, software, materials & supplies costs.
- Modest travel costs for field work only.
- Other items will be considered with proper justification.
*Please note, conference fees, workshops, administrative software, office equipment or faculty honoraria are not eligible costs under this program.
OERA will notify all applicants of the outcome of their proposal within 90 days of the closing date. Project awards anticipated in late September.
For more information please visit our website at www.oera.ca or contact:
Offshore Energy Research Association
- NSHRF ‑ Scotia Scholar Award
- Walter C Sumner Memorial Fellowship
- 2018 CAGS/UMI Distinguished Dissertation Awards
- Mitacs Global Research Award
- OERA ‑ Student Research Travel Program
- Canadian Science Policy Fellowship
- CIMVHR 2018 Scholarship Opportunities
- Three Minute Thesis ‑ Judges Needed!