Eliza Ritchie Doctoral Entrance Scholarship for Women
The Eliza Ritchie Doctoral Entrance Scholarship was established to commemorate Women's Centennial Year (1985) and to recognize the contribution to Dalhousie of one of its most important nineteenth-century graduates. After completing her undergraduate studies at Dalhousie in 1887, Eliza Ritchie (1856-1933) became one of the first Canadian women to receive a PhD degree (Cornell University, 1889). She cut short her professional career at Wellesley College in Massachusetts to return to Halifax, in 1899, where she devoted her energies to feminist and cultural causes, and to Dalhousie, for the rest of her life. She was the first warden of a Dalhousie women's residence (Forrest Hall, 1912-13), the first woman to serve as a member of the Dalhousie Board of Governors (1919-25), and the first woman to receive an honorary degree from Dalhousie.
- The award is intended to attract outstanding female students (first-class standing) into a program of studies leading to the PhD degree.
- Preference will be given to candidates who are studying in fields where women are under-represented.
- Scholarships will be awarded to Canadian citizens or permanent residents only, with preference given to candidates currently residing in the Atlantic provinces.
- To be eligible, candidates must have applied to a PhD program at Dalhousie or have completed no more than 12 months of study in their PhD program by August 31st of the year of the award.
- Candidates will be assessed based on academic excellence, research potential, and community/leadership abilities.
- The Award must be taken up no later than the 4th academic term of the degree program (i.e. within 12 months of the degree start date).
- The Award is renewable, subject to an annual progress review (first-class standing must be maintained).
- An award can be held for a maximum of 36 months of full-time study.
- One new award is made each year.
- The Award is valued at $30,000 for a twelve-month academic year.
- Candidates who hold other scholarships of any kind, including scholarships internal and external to Dalhousie University, will receive the Eliza Ritchie Doctoral Entrance Scholarship for Women as a "top-up award" to their other scholarship, the total not exceeding $30,000 per academic year or $10,000 per term.
- The Award is tenable only at Dalhousie University.
- Fees are not waived and must be paid out of the award.
- Application and annual renewal request deadline: March 15th.
Application and Renewal Forms
- Eliza Ritchie Application [PDF - 61kb]