Dal Alert!

Receive alerts from Dalhousie by text message.


Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I apply for scholarships?

If you would like to be considered for one of a number of Dalhousie scholarships, you should contact the graduate coordinator for your department (or the department to which you are applying) for further information. Departmental contact information can be found on our Programs page. For further information on funding at Dalhousie, please view our Funding Opportunities page.

2. How do I accept or decline my funding offer?

You can accept or decline your funding offer by e-mailing your decision to your department. When responding via e-mail, please remember to include your full name, student number, department, and all other awards not included in the FGS funding letter. (When listing other awards, please supply the name of the award, the period the award covers, and the amount of the award.)

3. My address is wrong on my funding letter but I have already changed it on Web for Students. How do I fix this?

When graduate students change their address, they must inform both the Faculty of Graduate Studies and their department of the change after updating it on Banner. This is the only way to guarantee that the records Graduate Studies maintain on graduate students remain current and that documentation is sent to the proper address.

4. I think that the offer on my funding letter is wrong. What should I do?

The amounts that are indicated on your funding letter are submitted to the Faculty of Graduate Studies by your department. If you believe the amount is incorrect then you should contact your department.

5. Can I receive funding while on a leave of absence?

The policy is that if you are not registered as a full time student you cannot receive funding administered by Dalhousie University.

The only exception to this policy is NSERC and SSHRC scholarship holders can receive four months of paid parental leave upon formal request and approval. Contact the FGS Scholarship Officer for further information on paid parental leave for NSERC and SSHRC holders.

6. If I am receiving a scholarship from Dalhousie University, what do I need to do if I am going to be away from campus for an extended period of time?

You need to write the Dean of FGS to obtain permission.

7. I am a first year graduate student. Can I apply for an FGS bursary?

Students in their first year of study are not eligible for bursary funding as students are only accepted into graduate programs if adequate funding is in place. However, in rare instances, if a first year student encounters exceptional, unanticipated circumstances that place them in a financial crisis, a bursary application from a first year student may be considered.

8. I was awarded an FGS bursary, but I owe fees. Will I receive the money, or will it go to fees?

The bursary awarded will go towards paying any fees owing. If the fees are less than the amount of the bursary, you will receive the remaining amount.

9. How do I collect the FGS bursary I was awarded?

If you do not owe any fees, a cheque will be sent to your Department or home address (check with your department regarding address).

10. How many FGS bursaries can I apply for?

You can only receive one FGS bursary per program. However, in exceptional and unanticipated circumstances, a second bursary may be considered.

11. I have already applied for an FGS bursary, but I was not granted one. Can I apply again?

Yes, you can apply for an FGS bursary as many times as you like. Decisions of the Bursary Committee cannot be appealed.