Sexton Campus; Room C1-351
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- PhD (Engineering), University of Aston in Birmingham, United Kingdom, (1976)
Dissertation Title: Coal combustion in Fluidized beds
- PhD (Engineering), University of Burdwan, India (1973)
Dissertation Title: Effect of turbulence on Premixed gas combustion
- BEng, University of Calcutta (1967)
- Cleaner energy from coal and biomass
- Combustion, Gasification and Torrefaction
- Fluidized bed boilers
- Application of fluidization in nuclear industries
View Dr. Basu's major contributions to science and industry.
- Fluidization Phenomenon I MECH 6140
(A course on particle behavior and bubbling fluidization)
- Fluidization Phenomenon II MECH 6145
(A course on theory and design of circulating fluidized bed boilers and reactors
- BCURA Townend Award - from Institute of Energy, UK, for best contribution to the field of Coal beneficiation and utilization.
- Best Paper Award - Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering
- Best Paper Award - American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- BCURA Townend Awards - from Institute of Energy, UK
Dr. Basu founded and managed several international professional organizations, the International Conference Series on Circulating Fluidized Beds, and the First International Conference on Combined Cycle Power Generation. The first organization promotes the development and use of CFB technology through a tri-annual international conference held in countries including China, Germany, USA, Canada, France and Japan.
He managed a number of very large international projects involving industries, universities and government agencies from different countries. Goals of these projects were to spread environment friendly technology and its absorption.
Dr. Basu administered the Centre for Energy Studies at Technical University of Nova Scotia led a department in a Government organization and one in a private industry in India. Recently he successfully managed a large project of building a boiler in a power plant, which included supervision of a team of professionals, contractors, vendors and workers. He also founded two successful private R&D companies (Greenfield Research Incorporated) in Canada.
Books by P. Basu:
- Biomass Gasification, Pyrolysis and Torrefaction, Design and Theory, Elsevier, USA, 2012 [PDF - 1.15 MB]
- Biomass Gasification & Pyrolysis, Academic Press, USA, 2010 [PDF - 375 kB]
- Combustion and Gasification in Fluidized Beds, Taylor & Francis, USA, 2006 [PDF - 742 kB]
- Boilers & Burners- Design and Theory (In Korean language), Seoul, 2003 [PDF - 3 MB]
- Boilers & Burners- Design and Theory, Springer & Verlag, New York, USA, 2000 [PDF - 3 MB]
- Circulating Fluidized Bed Boilers - Design & Operations, Butterworths, Stoneham, USA, 1991 [PDF - 11 MB]
- Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler (In Chinese language) Science Press, Beijing, China, 1995 [PDF - 3 MB]
- Fluidized Bed Boilers, Pergamon Press, Toronto, Canada, 1985 [PDF - 2 MB]
- Circulating Fluidized Bed Technology, I, II & III (edited conference volume) Pergamon Press, 1986, 1990, 1994 [PDF - 117 kB]
- Guest Editor for Special Issue on Combined Cycle, "Heat Recovery and CHP - International Journal", Pergamon Press, UK, January 1995.
- More than 200 in journals and conference proceedings [PDF - 127 kB].
An international conference series on circulating fluidized bed was founded by this laboratory in 1985 in order to break open the black box around this technology. This conference actively encouraged research on CFB around the world so as to improve and make this technology more easily accessible to all. It is one of the most prestigious conferences held every third year around the world. Conferences were held every 3 years in Halifax, Compiegne, Nagoya, Hidden Valley, Beijing, London, Wurzburg, Hangzhou, Hamburg, Sunriver (2011), Beijing (2014), Krakow (2017).
Professional engineers, from different countries and varying industries, come to this lab for several weeks to a few months to learn more about the design and theory of fluidized bed systems.
P. Basu routinely conducts professional development courses on fluidized bed boilers and gasifiers in industries and institutions in Canada and overseas.