Payroll & Finance Coordinator
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our more than 20,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
The Faculty of Computer Science (FCS) offers degrees tailored to match individual interests in a high-tech discipline at the forefront of innovation. Staff work with faculty members to help build a foundation for student success as students prepare, through academics and research, for a career in one of the world’s hottest growth industries. Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Payroll & Finance Coordinator will support FCS’s payroll, finance and human resource functions.
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll for markers and other hourly paid employees. Review submitted payroll forms and timesheets, and follow-up on missing information. Forward for signing to appropriate individual(s). Ensure payroll related forms are submitted prior to deadline.
- Under the direction of the Director, prepare appointment letters and payroll documentation for short-term employees; assist with the collection and processing of DFA-Professional Development Allowance applications; and prepare financial reports, journal entries, and reconciliations.
- Serve as first point of contact for the finance area, responding to general inquiries, redirecting as appropriate. This includes working with faculty researchers and/or administrative staff to resolve issues with research accounts.
- Review and process financial forms and documents, including travel advances/claims, cheque requisition forms, deposit advices, journal entries, PCard payments, and vendor invoices to ensure documentation is correct and complete, and expenditures follow applicable policies and regulations.
- Complete onboarding and exit steps for temporary and short-term employees, including confirming space allocation, coordinating security access at start and end of employment, and collecting supporting payroll documentation.
The successful applicant will be eligible for hybrid work (combination of in-person work on campus and remote work) as agreed by all parties based on operational requirements and university guidelines.
Position Requirements & Qualifications
Completion of a two-year related diploma program (Business/Office Administration, Accounting) with approximately three to five years’ relevant work experience, ideally in a post-secondary or university setting (or equivalent combination of training and experience) is required. Demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet demands in a busy, deadline-driven environment with excellent attention to detail. Strong interpersonal, client service, and communication (verbal and written) skills are required. Proficient Microsoft Office software skills are required, particularly in Excel and Word. Knowledge of the Dalhousie Online Financial and Payroll system a strong asset.
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.
|Open Until Filled||No|
|Special Instructions to Applicant|
|Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting||https://dal.peopleadmin.ca/postings/9605|