Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our more than 20,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
The Faculty of Computer Science (FCS) offers degrees tailored to match individual interests in a high-tech discipline at the forefront of innovation. The administrative staff work with faculty members to help build a foundation for student success as students prepare, through academics and research, for a career in one of the world’s hottest growth industries. Reporting to the Faculty Administrator, the Graduate Administrator will provide administrative support for the graduate programs offered by the Faculty of Computer Science.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide regular student advising to graduate students regarding academic programs as well as university policies, procedures, and deadlines.
- Process graduate applications, including gathering and sorting incoming documentation, calculating GPAs, scheduling admission interviews, maintaining and updating application files and databases, and carrying out associated follow-up with applicants.
- Respond to written and verbal inquiries and requests for information regarding the application process, prerequisites, general program information, funding, etc., and redirect inquiries of a specialized academic nature.
- Ensure all necessary graduate student documentation is completed and submitted within deadlines, e.g. Graduate Studies forms for thesis and project defense, student class selections, graduate supervisor requests.
- Oversee the graduate scholarship process, including updating students regarding available scholarships, assisting with the ranking of potential scholarship candidates, and preparing associated forms and award letters.
- Complete ongoing related administrative tasks such as maintaining graduate student files, booking rooms, supporting orientation activities, and serving as a resource for graduate committees.
Position Requirements & Qualifications
Completion of an office/business administration program, with approximately five years’ relevant experience (or equivalent combination of training and experience) is required. Demonstrated excellence in service and intercultural competence, as well as strong communication (verbal and written) skills, is required. Must demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy while working under minimal supervision in a busy office environment. Demonstrated ability to work with and learn various software is required. Experience within a university or post-secondary environment is an asset.
|Open Until Filled||No|
|Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting||https://dal.peopleadmin.ca/postings/9352|