Pre‑Calculus ‑ Accelerated (Math 0010.00)
Winter 2018 Course Times & Tutorial Information
January 3 - April 4, 2018
Classes: Mondays & Wednesdays, 4:35 pm - 6:25 pm
Tutorials: Mondays & Wednesdays, 4:05 pm - 4:35 pm
Final Exam Review: Monday, April 2, 2018, 4:35 pm - 7:35 pm
Final Exam: Wednesday, April 4, 2018, 4:35 pm - 7:35 pm
This single-term accelerated course has been designed for calculus bound students, who have a firm grasp of grade 11 and 12 math skills. Focus is placed on pre-calculus key concepts, assuming students have current knowledge of grade 11 and 12 math concepts. Students requiring review of grade 11 and 12 concepts should take Pre-Calculus Plus (Math 0011.00). Topics are explored in class following a clear, logical progression, with mastery generally occurring after assignments are completed.
Recommend at least 80% in grade 11 and 12 math. We encourage you to complete our complimentary math diagnostic. This will assist us to identify your current math strengths.
What Will I Learn?
In this course you will:
- develop the definition of a derivative, using limits, and use it to find the derivative of linear, quadratic, radical, and rational functions (applying the Power Rule to help sketch polynomial functions)
- investigate and use transformations to sketch such functions as absolute value, radical and trigonometric
- explore the composition, decomposition and inverse of functions and their respective domains
- study rational functions, including asymptotes and table of signs
- exponential and logarithmic functions using base "e" are explored and used foto solve equations
- using radian measure, learn about trigonometric identities, and apply them in solving trig equations
- explore area under the curve
At least 2-3 hours for every hour of class time is required to complete assignments.
* University Prep courses are non-credit preparatory courses. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that each course he/she enrolls in is accepted at other post-secondary institutions, beyond Dalhousie University.