Comprehensive Project Management
Part 1: Core Skills
February 26-28, 2018
March 25-27, 2019
This course focuses on the core skills of the project management body of knowledge in a 3-day comprehensive program paced to appeal to those currently working in a project management (PM) environment. Instructors for this course bring a PM discipline gained from years of managing projects in rigorous project-driven industries.
This "professional" level course appeals to a wide audience from a broad mix of industries including engineers, software developers, and manufacturers, engaged in technical projects as well as others involved in business and financial projects. This course facilitates discussions among the participants about their project management challenges and successes.
After completion of Comprehensive Project Management Part 1 and Part 2, participants will have learned the 42 processes of the benchmark publication A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK v6® Guide) published by the Project Management Institute (PMI). Once completed, you will return to your workplace qualified to improve your organization's PM process.
Many people who have taken this course have gone on to a high-profile position in their organization. For those preparing for the Project Management Professional (PMP®) designation, this and related courses, have prepared more people for the PMP exam than any other course in Canada.
Participants will gain practical skills to:
- Become conversant with the whole breadth of modern project management.
- Increase your own PM "lessons learned" by learning from the PM experiences of others.
- Add techniques to your PM "toolbox," increasing your value to your organization and in the job marketplace.
- Return to your workplace equipped to improve your organization's PM process.
- Prepare to take the PMP examination (should you choose).
Who Should Attend
The Comprehensive Project Management Seminar is appropriate for individuals who:
- Are being appointed as a Project Manager or a Project Management Office Director.
- Want to enhance their resume and marketability in the project management job market.
- Work in a project management environment, in any industry or discipline, and wants to increase their PM knowledge.
- Want to prepare for the PMP designation.
- 3-day Project Management Essentials (or its equivalent)
You Will Receive
You will receive a course binder containing copies of presentation slides, case studies, exercises, and suggested solutions. You will also receive the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK v6®) Guide and Farndale's PMP and CAPM® Preparation Guide.
Day 1 - registration/check-in will start at 8:00 a.m. with sessions to begin at 8:30 a.m. and adjourn at 4:00 p.m. Days 2-3 will commence at 8:30 a.m. and adjourn at 4:00 p.m. There will be a 15 minute mid-morning and afternoon break. A light lunch is included from 12 noon to 1:00 pm.
PM Body of Knowledge
Project Life Cycle
Exercise: Stakeholder Requirements
Work Breakdown Structure
Scope Statements and Scope Changes
Exercise: Work Breakdown Structure
Types and Hierarchy of Schedules
Logic Networks: ADM, PDM, CPM
Risk Analysis & Contingency
Schedule Reporting and Control
Critical Path Compression
Exercises: Post-it ® Note Schedule Development, Resource Levelling, Crashing
Cost Reporting and Control
Estimates to Complete
Exercises: Estimating, Earned Value
Cost of Quality
Tools of Quality Control
Process Control Charts
Exercises: Pareto Diagram, Application to PM