Comprehensive Project Management
Part 2: Enhanced Skills
This three-day course is designed for those with experience working in a project management (PM) environment. This “professional” level course appeals to a broad mix of industries. Participants include engineers, contractors, software developers and manufacturers engaged in technical projects; others are involved in business and financial projects. We facilitate discussions among the participants about their project management challenges and successes.
Once completed, you will return to your workplace qualified to improve your organization’s PM process. Many people who have taken our course have gone on to a high-profile position in their organization.
By the conclusion of this course, you will learn the processes from five knowledge areas as defined in the benchmark publication A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK®) Guide published by the Project Management Institute. The course is always consistent with the current PMBOK® Guide.
Many of our participants are interested in preparing for the Project Management Professional (PMP®) or related CAPM® designation. We have been preparing candidates for those exams since 1991, longer than anyone else in Canada. Enrolment includes a free subscription to our PMP Helpline and PMP Intelligence messages.
Participants will gain practical skills to:
- Become conversant with the whole breadth of modern project management.
- Increase your own PM "lessons learned" by learning from the PM experiences of others.
- Add techniques to your PM "toolbox," increasing your value to your organization and in the job marketplace.
- Return to your workplace equipped to improve your organization's PM process.
- Prepare to take the PMP examination (should you choose).
Who Should Attend
The Comprehensive Project Management Seminar Enhanced Skills is appropriate for individuals who:
- Are being appointed as a Project Manager.
- Work in a project management environment and want to increase their PM knowledge.
- Are preparing for the PMP or CAPM designation.
- Want to enhance their marketability in the project management job market.
Three-day Project Management Essentials (or equivalent), or permission from the instructor if you already work in a project management environment that uses formal project management tools.
You Will Receive
You will receive a course binder containing copies of presentation slides, case studies, exercises, and suggested solutions. You will also receive A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge and Farndale’s PMP and CAPM Preparation Guide.
Day 1 - registration/check-in will start at 8:00 a.m. with sessions to begin at 8:30 a.m. and adjourn at 4:00 p.m. Days 2-3 will commence at 8:30 a.m. and adjourn at 4:00 p.m. There will be 15 minute mid-morning and afternoon breaks. A light lunch is included from 12 noon to 1:00 pm.
• Process of Communication
• Communications Plan
• Progress Reports
• Virtual Teams
• Exercises: Communication Problems, Communications Plan
• Principles of Quality
• Manage Quality
• Control Quality
• Exercises: Principles, Pareto Diagram
• Organizing for Procurement
• Contract Law
• Plan Procurements
• Contract Types, Risk Allocation
• Conduct Procurements - Solicitation & Selection
• Control Procurements
• Dispute Avoidance & Resolution
• Contract Close-Out
• Exercises: Battle of the Forms, Tendering, Evaluation Criteria, Procurement Plan
• Risk Identification
• Qualitative and Quantitative Risk Management
• Expected Monetary Value
• Decision Trees
• Monte Carlo Simulation
• Risk Response Planning & Implement Risk Responses
• Risk Monitoring
• Exercises: Risk Identification, Risk Mapping, Risk Tolerance, Risk Responses
• Organizing for Projects
• Motivation & Leadership
• Power and Influence
• Team Development
• Conflict Resolution
• Exercises: Working in a Matrix, Applying Behavioral Theories, Situational Leadership, Conflict Resolution
• Trends in Project Management
• Organizational Maturity
• Application to Types of Project Environment