Comprehensive Project Management
Part 2: Enhanced Skills
This course focuses on the enhanced skills of the project management body of knowledge in a 3-day comprehensive program paced to appeal to those currently working in a project management (PM) environment. Instructors for this course bring a PM discipline gained from years of managing projects in rigorous project-driven industries.
This "professional" level course appeals to a wide audience from a broad mix of industries including engineers, software developers, and manufacturers, engaged in technical projects as well as others involved in business and financial projects. This course facilitates discussions among the participants about their project management challenges and successes.
After completion of Comprehensive Project Management Part 1 and Part 2, participants will have learned the 42 processes of the benchmark publication A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK v5® Guide) published by the Project Management Institute (PMI). Once completed, you will return to your workplace qualified to improve your organization's PM process.
Many people who have taken this course have gone on to a high-profile position in their organization. For those preparing for the Project Management Professional (PMP®) designation, this and related courses, have prepared more people for the PMP exam than any other course in Canada.
Participants will gain practical skills to:
- Become conversant with the whole breadth of modern project management.
- Increase your own PM "lessons learned" by learning from the PM experiences of others.
- Add techniques to your PM "toolbox," increasing your value to your organization and in the job marketplace.
- Return to your workplace equipped to improve your organization's PM process.
- Prepare to take the PMP examination (should you choose).
Who Should Attend
The Comprehensive Project Management Seminar is appropriate for individuals who:
- Are being appointed as a Project Manager or a Project Management Office Director.
- Want to enhance their resume and marketability in the project management job market.
- Work in a project management environment, in any industry or discipline, and wants to increase their PM knowledge.
- Want to prepare for the PMP designation.
- 3-day Project Management Essentials (or equivalent)
- Comprehensive Project Management Part 1: Core Skills (or equivalent)
You Will Receive
You will receive a course binder containing copies of presentation slides, case studies, exercises, and suggested solutions.
Day 1 - registration/check-in will start at 8:00 a.m. with sessions to begin at 8:30 a.m. and adjourn at 4:00 p.m. Days 2-3 will commence at 8:30 a.m. and adjourn at 4:00 p.m. There will be 15 minute mid-morning and afternoon breaks. A light lunch is included from 12 noon to 1:00 pm.
Organizing for Procurement
Solicitation & Source Selection
Dispute Avoidance & Resolution
Exercises: Battle of the Forms, Evaluation Criteria, Procurement Plan
Expected Monetary Value
Monte Carlo Simulation
Risk Response Planning
Exercises: Risk Identification, Risk Mapping, Risk Tolerance, Risk Responses
Human Resources Management
Organizing for Projects: Projectized / Functional / Matrix, Behavioural Matters
Motivation & Leadership
Power and Influence
Exercises: Working in a Matrix, Applying Behavioural Theories, Situational Leadership, Conflict Resolution
Process of Communication
Exercise: Communication Failures, Communications Planning
PM as a Profession
Ethics and Diversity
Exercise: Ethical Dilemmas
Trends in Project Management
Types of Project Environments