Communication Skills for Police Personnel
The course focuses sharply on the special issues police officers encounter as they endeavour to achieve the increasingly complex goals of a manager within a law enforcement agency. It does this by offering practical, “how-to” ways of improving oral and written communication skills; developing skills for team communication, as well as understanding information flows and the purpose and elements of a communication plan. Whether writing emails, reports or a media release, posting on social media or speaking publicly to the media or community, effective communication makes the job easier and leaves a lasting impression with others.
- Improve questioning and feedback skills to enhance two-way communication.
- Develop the skills for team communication, including setting (and selling) goals and objectives.
- Understand the necessity for your employees to have strong writing skills and the ways and means of helping to improve those skills.
- Apply the elements of good writing to letters, reports, emails, media releases, social media posts and communication plans.
- How to select the best writing structure to suit your message, audience and communication vehicle.
- Apply a system of communication that helps prevent communication misunderstandings.
- Apply elements of effective media relations and public speaking.
- Understand the role of supervisor of media relations and crisis communications.
The Communication Skills for Police Personnel course was "an incredible and challenging course that allowed me to improve my report-writing skills as well as my way of communicating with our clients. I would recommend this course to anyone with the objective of becoming a supervisor or in the process of being promoted."
Cst. Melanie Laroche, RCMP, Red Deer City, AB