Advanced Police Leadership
- The completion of one concentration certificate (3 courses)
- The completion of one course from three of the remaining concentrations (3 courses)
- The maintenance of a 78% average in previous courses throughout the program
(Equivalencies and prior learning assessments may be considered for admission to this course.)
Please call the Program Manager for a special application form, and register 10-12 weeks in advance of your desired start date.
Texts for this course can be purchased through the College using the order form.
The Advanced Police Leadership course provides an opportunity to integrate the concepts learned throughout the program into the student's own organizational setting.
Graduates of the Advanced Police Leadership course can receive advanced standing in our Local Government and Public Sector program.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define and explain the importance of five leadership skill sets: Personal Mastery, Interpersonal Communications, Counseling and Problem Management, Team and Organizational Development, and Versatility in Style, Role and Skill Shifting.
- Identify personal leadership strengths and challenges.
- Develop a personal leadership skills enhancement program to improve areas of perceived challenge.
- Explain the difference between counseling, coaching, and consulting and give examples of when to use each.
- Determine areas for improvement in the organization and areas of strength.
- Develop a plan to improve the organization taking advantages of personal and organizational strengths and enhancing areas of weakness.
- Critically evaluate and comment on the use of leadership techniques and practices from various examples.
- Compare leadership practices from business to those used in policing.
- Use a problem solving approach to solve an identified concern in and/or for the community.
- Integrate the various knowledge components of the Certificate in Police Leadership in a comprehensive problem solving exercise.
- Discuss changes that have occurred in Canadian Policing and their impact on the future.
[Advanced Police Leadership was] an excellent course which I recommend to anyone choosing to progress through managerial ranks. The material and content was very well organized by the instructor and the knowledge obtained was extremely practical. This course was individually based on the student which was very relevant to my current and future roles and responsibilities."
S/Sgt. Paul Brown, District Commander, RCMP District 6 Miramichi