Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
Budjac, Corvette, B.A. (2007). Conflict Management: A Practical Guide to Developing Negotiation Strategies. Saddle River: Pearson.
If there is a change to the referenced textbook it will be posted here approximately one month before the Sept 5th start date.
Negotiation includes activities ranging from discussing a salary with an employer to signing economical and political agreements between countries. Competence in negotiation increases chances of avoiding misunderstandings and effectively managing conflicts; making negotiation skills vital for today’s employees and business and government managers.
This course is designed to help you develop, practice, and enhance your negotiation. It will also demonstrate conflict resolution strategies through learning theories of negotiation, participating in discussions, and completing analytical and reflection assignments. The course explains the role personality types, emotions, gender, culture, and language play in controlling the complex processes of communication and choosing a particular conflict management style. The course will equip you with the knowledge needed to avoid mistakes in communication and become a successful negotiator.
On completion of this course, students are expected to have the necessary knowledge and skills to become successful negotiators and effectively resolve different types of conflicts.
More specifically, you will be able to:
- Understand the concepts of conflict and negotiation
- Identify the steps necessary to develop effective personal negotiating power
- Assess key aspects of personality in relation to conflict, negotiation, and persuasion
- Diagnose and analyze conflict
- Effectively choose the appropriate negotiation style
- Identify key negotiating temperaments
- Understand the major types of interests and goals in negotiation
- Understand the process of communication
- Use language effectively for persuasion and negotiation
- Follow the rules of effective listening and speaking in negotiation
- Understand how body language affects negotiation
- Recognize how cultural and gender differences affect negotiation
- Understand how perception affects attitude, goals, and decisions in negotiation
- Recognize the role of power and games play in negotiation
- Recognize aggression and its impact on negotiation
- Understand the impact of assertive behaviour on negotiation
- Manage anger in negotiation
- Understand the role diplomacy plays in persuasion
- Overcome the difficulties of persuasion
- Follow the principles of effective negotiation
- Understand strategic behaviour in negotiation
- Use effective tactics throughout the negotiation process
- Follow the ethical rules in negotiation
- Gain benefits from team negotiation
- Understand how leadership encompasses negotiation
- Understand public relations is part of negotiation and persuasion
- Effectively use third-party intervention processes
- Develop personalized negotiation strategies