Fire Service Leadership
The Certificate in Fire Service Leadership (CFSL) provides fire service officers with opportunities to expand their knowledge of the fire service and add management education to their technical training. The CFSL has been offered across Canada since 1996. It is a prerequisite for the Certificate in Fire Service Administration (CFSA).
Requirements for Applicants
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working or volunteering in the fire service.
- Students must complete the three required courses in order to receive the Certificate in Fire Service Leadership
Who Should Enroll
- Junior officers in career fire departments
- Any officer in volunteer fire department
- Any officer in a composite fire department
- Any firefighter who wants to become an officer
- For junior officers in career fire departments, it provides essential knowledge for the supervision and leadership of firefighters in ﬁre stations.
- For officers in volunteer departments, it provides essential knowledge for the supervision of volunteers and knowledge to plan new activities within the department; also included is fundraising.
- For officers in composite fire departments, it provides essential knowledge for the supervision of both volunteer and career firefighters.
All courses in our programs are delivered online. Online delivery enables students to interact with fellow students as well as the instructor. Students participate in online graded discussions and/or group work as well as complete written assignments.
The registration fee does NOT include the cost of Textbooks.
Go to the ‘Courses’ section below and click on the name of the course to access the course description and the ‘CFSL Textbook Order form’. You can complete the form electronically and email it to our office (as an attachment) or you can print it, complete it and fax or email it to the program office.
The completed form and payment must be received by our office no later than:
- December 17, 2019 for Winter 2020 term (exceptions apply)
If your organization is paying for the books you must include one of the following; a copy of the purchase order, a purchase order number, corporate credit card information, a letter authorizing us to invoice your department (email is fine) or a cheque.
Once payment is received the books will be sent via Canada Post to the address supplied on the order form. It is your responsibility to ensure you have all of the necessary books in their correct edition/s prior to the course start date.
IMPORTANT Note: The CFSL textbooks are used for the full CFSL program (all three courses). They are also used for many of the CFSA courses. Be sure to keep them in a safe place until you have completely finished your studies with us. It is your responsibility to ensure you have the correct books and edition/s by reviewing the textbook list on the website prior to the start of each course.