News» Go to news main
Dal sociologist's impressive impact
SOSA sociologist Dr. Howard Ramos was awarded a President's Research Excellence Award for Research Impact at the Dalhousie Legacy Awards gala on June 20. Our outstanding colleague's citation read:
"Dr. Howard Ramos is known on campus and beyond as an outstanding scholar and sociologist, possessing a broad range of research interests and a commitment to the knowledge transformation and mobilization necessary to effect real world impact. Specifically, his research on equity, immigration and settlement, Indigeneity and political resistance have contributed to greater understandings of equity, particularly at Canadian universities. Beyond such stellar accomplishments, his reach extends to the public realm through numerous media contributions, including media interview and the frequent authoring of op-eds and magazine articles for regional and national audiences. Whether with peers or the general public, he is not afraid to engage in the conversations society needs."
- Sociology professor Emma Whelan featured in Episode Three of Open Dialogue Live
- Dr. Afua Cooper Featured in University of Toronto Magazine
- Prizewinning essay shows how play can help us be good
- Writers Federation of Nova Scotia honours Dr. Afua Cooper
- Daniel Salas wins Roseberry‑Nash Graduate Student Paper Prize
- MA Student Stephanie Peel CASCA Student Poster Competition at the CASCA‑AAA Conference
- Dr. Laura Eramian has been awarded an honourable mention for the Canadian Anthropology Society's (CASCA) Labrecque‑Lee Book Prize
- Booking an apartment or renting out your own on AirBnB: is it always a good idea?