PO Box 15000, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 4R2
- Social justice and inequality
- Migration - immigration
- Immigrant integration
- Research methods
- Social statistics
- International Development Studies
- BA, Tsuda College, Tokyo, Japan
- MA, PhD, McGill University
Yoko Yoshida is a sociologist whose research interests focus on applied social statistics in the areas of immigration, integration of immigrants, and social inequality in Canada. Her previous projects include the analysis of economic inequality of immigrants in Canada, the role of family in immigration and settlement processes, economic and non-economic contributions of family class immigrants, and understanding the multi-dimensionality of immigrants’ integration. Her current SSHRC funded research focuses on two areas: analysis of the economic outcomes and retention of immigrants in Atlantic Canada and analysis of the integration of refugee children and youth in Canada. Throughout her carrier, she has produced a number of publication and reports offering an evidence-base for provincial, federal agencies, as well as local community groups. She strongly believes that that social science has a lot to contribute towards better policy and program planning. On this front, she takes interest in working with students to develop strong research skills, which can be applied within and beyond academia. She has supervised graduate students and a postdoctoral fellow who explore immigrant integration, sports and class, health care, social stratification, and the measurement of religiosity. She is also the former Academic Director of the Atlantic Research Data Centre and is the current Vice President of the Canadian Population Society.
• Yoshida, Yoko, Jonathan Amoyaw. Forthcoming. “Looking Beyond Labour Market Integration: Household conditions surrounding refugee children in Canada” in A, Korntheuer, D. B. Maehler, P. Pritchard, and L. Wilkinson (eds.) Refugees in Canada and Germany: Responses in policy and practice.
• Kristjansdottir, Olof, Patrick J. McGrath, G. Allen Finley, Gudrun Kristjansdottir, Pulsuk Siripul, Sean P. Mackinnon, Yoko Yoshida. 2018. “Cultural Influences on Parental Responses to Children’s Pain”, Pain. 159(10)2035-2049.
• Yoshida, Yoko, Howard Ramos, Madine VanderPlaat. 2016. “How do the Economic Outcomes of Economic versus Family Sponsored Immigrants Compare?” Canadian Diversity. 13(1): 26-33.
• Goodale, K., Yoshida, Y., Beazley, K., & Sherren, K. 2015. “Does stewardship program participation influence Canadian farmer engagement in biodiversity-friendly farming practices?” Biodiversity and Conservation, 1-20.
• Yoshida, Yoko, Howard Ramos. 2015. “From Away, But Here to Stay? Trends in Out-migration Among a Cohort of Recent Immigrants to Atlantic Canada?” Ch. 2 in E. Tastsoglou, A. Dobrowolsky and B. Cottrell (eds.) The Warmth of the Welcome: Is Atlantic Canada a Home Away from Home for Immigrants? Cape Breton University Press.
• Asada, Yukiko, Yoko Yoshida, Alyce Whipp. 2013. “Summarizing Social Disparities in Health,” MilBank Quarterly 91(1): 5-36.