News» Go to news main
Jessica Albee (French/Spanish) wins 2017 Prix du Consulat general de France dans les Provinces atlantiques
On March 20, 2017, Journée internationale de la Francophonie (International Francophonie Day), FASS student Jessica Albee (Double Major French/Spanish with Minor in Italian) went home with a double reward.
First, the Prix de l’Alliance Française Halifax is annually presented to one student in French Studies from each of the following Maritime universities, as nominated by their own department: Acadia, Saint Mary’s, Dalhousie, St. Francis Xavier, Mount Saint-Vincent and Memorial University. This award recognizes deserving students who have demonstrated excellence in their studies throughout the year and a passion for the French and Francophone language and culture.
Her second prize, the Prix du Consulat général de France dans les Provinces atlantiques is annually awarded through an Essay competition. This year, each candidate was invited to write about the use of new technologies and social media in French language learning. The essays were anonymously submitted to the jury (Mlle Emile Emond, Cultural Attaché of the Consulat général de France à Moncton, Mme Isabelle Pédot, Executive director of the Alliance Française Halifax, and Mme Solène Vidal from the Francoforum, Institut de langue française). In her remarks, Mlle Emond indicated that the winner had been chosen for the quality of her writing as well as for their creativity and ability to implement the subject in her text.
Jessica will hence have the opportunity to further explore Francophone culture and language thanks to a complete immersion programme at the FrancoForum, Institut de langue française, located on Saint Pierre and Miquelon, off the southwestern coast of Newfoundland.
Patricia Lee Men Chin, Ph.D.
(Chair, Special Events & Student Affairs)
Department of French
For more information, please visit the Department of French News webpage.
- Dalhousie Review contributor and former English department instructor shortlisted for 2018 Journey Prize award
- FASS alum Jeremy Dutcher wins 2018 Polaris Music Prize
- Winners of the 2018 FASS Essay Competition
- Several FASS faculty members honoured at awards reception
- Dr. Afua Cooper named new HRM poet laureate
- Fail Forward: Falling Short and Climbing Up
- Yuri Leving wins the 2017 Award for Outstanding Contribution to Scholarship from the American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies
- Talking Dinosaurs in Toronto ‑ Dr. Brian Noble to Deliver Public Lecture at the Royal Ontario Museum