John E. (Jack) Crowley
PO Box 15000, Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Early modern Anglo-American history
- Comparative European colonization
- Material culture
- Landscape history
- Visual culture
- Quantitative epistemology
- AB (Princeton)
- MA (Michigan)
- PhD (Johns Hopkins)
- How Averages Became Normal. American Historical Review (2023).
- Sugar Machines: Picturing Industrialized Slavery. American Historical Review (2016).
- Imperial Landscapes: Britain's Global Visual Culture, 1745-1820. New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2011.
- The Invention of Comfort: Sensibility and Design in Early Modern Britain and Early America. Johns Hopkins University Press, 2001.
- The Sensibility of Comfort. American Historical Review (1999).
Awards and honours
- Royal Society of Canada, Fellow
- University of California at Berkeley, Sproul Fellowship, 2010
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, Fellowship, 2001-02
- John Carter Brown Library, Mellon Fellowship, 2002
- Yale Centre for British Art, Visiting Scholar, 2000
- Royal Historical Society, Fellow
- George Munro Professor of History and Political Economy, 1999-2005
- American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, James L. Clifford Article Prize, 1999
- Huntington Library, Mayers Fellowship, 1999
- Winterthur Museum, National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship, 1996
- National Humanities Center, Fellowship, 1995-96
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Research Grant, 1991-94, 1995-98, 2000-03, 2003-08, 2011-14
- Winterthur Museum, du Pont Fellowship, 1991
- Rockerfeller Foundation, Bellagio Center, Residency, 1990
- Amerian Council of Learned Societies, Fellowship, 1989-90
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Grant to Lecture Abroad, 1986
- École Normale Supérieure (Paris), Professeur invité, 1986
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Leave Fellowship, 1979-80
- Canada Council, Research Fellowship, 1974-75