Associate Professor (Department of History); Acting Chair (Department of Russian Studies & Department of German)
PO Box 15000, Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Modern Middle East history
- Nationalism in the Arab world
- African Islamic history
- Islamic movements
- Intellectual history
- BA (Beirut)
- MA (Alberta)
- PhD (Alberta)
- Amal N. Ghazal, Islamic Reform and Arab Nationalism: Expanding the Crescent from the Mediterranean to the Indian Ocean 1880s-1930s (Culture and Civilizatin in the Middle East Series, London: Routledge, 2010; Paperback, 2014).
- Amal Ghazal and Jens Hanssen (eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Contemporary Middle Eastern and North African History (Oxford: Oxford University Press). Under contract.
- "Transcending Area Studies: Piecing Together the Cross-Regional Networks of Ibadi Islam," Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa and the Middle East, 34.3 (2014). Forthcoming.
- "Tensions of Nationalism: Mzabi Student Missions in Tunisia and the Trans-border Politics of Anti-Colonialism," International Journal of Middle East Studies, Vol. 47.1 (2015). Forthcoming.
- "Oman: the Arab Views," in Michaela Hoffman-Ruf and Abdul Rahman al-Salimi (eds.), Oman and Overseas (Hildesheim: Georg Olms Verlag, 2013), 341-352/
- "An Ottoman Pasha and the End of Empire: Sulayman al-Baruni and the Networks of Islamic Reform," in James Gelvin and Nile Green (eds.), Circuits and Networks: Muslim Interaction in the First Age of Globalization (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2013), 40-58.
- "The Other Frontiers of Arab Nationalism: Ibadis, Berbers and the Arabist-Salafi Press in the Interwar Period", International Journal of Middle East Studies 42 (2010): 105-122.
- “Debating Slavery and Abolition in the Arab Middle East", In Islalm,Slavery and Diaspora. Behnaz A. Mirzai, Ismael Musah Montana and Paul E. Lovejoy (eds.), (Trenton NJ: Africa World Press, 2009): 139-153.
Awards and honours
- SSHRC Standard Research Grant, April 2011-March 2014
- The Gerda Henkel Foundation Grant, 2013
- Dalhousie Research Development Fund, 2006-2007 and 2007-2008
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Post-doctoral Fellowship, January 2005-June 2006. Dalhousie Research Development Fund, 2006-2007 and 2007-2008
- University of Alberta Dissertation Fellowship, University of Alberta, Edmonton. May 2003-April 2004
- Margaret Brine Scholarship, Canadian Federation of University Women, Edmonton. May 2003
- HIST 2502F - The Ottoman Empire and its Legacy in the Middle East, 1299-1923
- HIST 4510W - Topics in Islamic and Middle East History (2016-2017 Topic: Slavery, Sexuality and Women in Islam)
- HIST 4986X/Y - The Varieties of History
Office Hours - Fall Term:
- Thursdays: 1:00 - 2:30
- or by appointment