Honours in English (Pre‑September 2018)
BA Honours in English (120 Credit Hours)
The Honours Program in English offers students the opportunity for intensive study, through seminar courses and individual research. The Program provides excellent preparation for graduate studies in literature as well as for programs such as education and law.
Unlike admission to the Major program, admission to the Honours program is competitive and requires a special application, often made during the second year. To be considered for the Concentrated or Combined Honours program, students must attain a 3.3 average GPA in upper-level English courses, and apply to the Undergraduate Advisor in English.
1. Students must meet the Faculty requirements for Concentrated Honours, which include 54 to 66 credit hours in English above the 1000 level. Among the English courses, students must take:
2. At least two of the following: ENGL2001 British Literature to 1800, ENGL2002 British Literature after 1800, ENGL2003 American Literature, ENGL2004 Canadian Literature, ENGL2005 World Literature, ENGL2006 Cultural Studies
3. At least one of the following: ENGL3000 Close Reading, ENGL3001 History of Literary Criticism, ENGL3002 Contemporary Critical Theory
4. At least two from each of the following groups:
A) Old English, Middle English, Renaissance (ENGL2018 Arthur, ENGL2020 Sampling Medieval Literature, ENGL2215 Young Shakespeare, ENGL2217 Shakespeare at the Globe, ENGL3005 The Canterbury Tales, ENGL3007 Old English, ENGL3008 Introduction to Nordic Saga, ENGL3010 Renaissance Poetry and Culture I: More to Jonson, ENGL3011 Renaissance Poetry and Culture II: Donne to Milton, ENGL3015 Renaissance Drama)
B) Restoration, Eighteenth-Century, Romantic, Victorian, 19th-Century American (ENGL2218 Gothic Fiction, ENGL3017 English Poetry and Prose 1660-1740, ENGL3019 Poetry and Prose 1740-1789, ENGL3020 English Drama 1660-1800, ENGL3022 English Fiction to 1820, ENGL3026 Romantic Era I: Radicals and Visionaries, ENGL3027 Romantic Era II: The Satanic and the Sublime, ENGL3029 Victorian Poetry, ENGL3031 The Nineteenth-Century British Novel from Austen to Dickens, ENGL3032 The Nineteenth-Century British Novel from Dickens to Hardy, ENGL3061 American Literature to 1865, ENGL3062 American Literature 1865-1914)
5. 15 credit hours at the 4000 level. Note: as of September 2017, students in a Concentrated Honours program in English will be required to complete 15 credit-hours at the 4000 level, including ENGL4900.03 Honours Capstone Seminar.
6. ENGL 4990.00 English Honours Capstone. Note: as of September 2017, students in a Concentrated Honours program in English will be required to complete ENGL4901.00 Honours Essay.
Please consult the Academic Calendar for more detailed information.