Associate Professor; Canada Research Chair in European Studies
PO BOX 15000, Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Irish studies
- Canadian literature
- Modernist literature
- Film studies
- European studies
- Minority languages
- Quebec cinema
- BA (Oregon)
- MA, PhD (Alberta)
I am interested in film and literature generally, and especially from “small” or marginal cultures. I’m also interested in documentary and avant garde filmmaking practices. I have particular interest in cinema in Ireland, Catalonia, Quebec and Canada, and Switzerland, and in modern Irish literature (1900 forward, basically). At the moment I’m working on a book about Irish literature in both English and Irish and another book about Catalan cinema and the realist tradition. I am also writing about Georgian cinema, sometimes in collaboration with Nino Dzandzava of the National Archives of Georgia, and I am hoping that work will morph into a book. I have assembled programmes of Georgian and of Catalan cinema for the Cinémathèque Québécoise in Montreal, and the cinémathèque has published my short "dossiers" to accompany both.
I teach courses on cinema and literature, as well as in European Studies generally. In my cinema courses I try to focus on Canada, Quebec, Western Europe and the post-colonial world, as well as on non-standard forms (documentary, avant garde, etc.). I also enjoy teaching introductory surveys of film history and film theory, and have done this at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. As far as literature goes I tend to focus on Quebec and Western Europe, and I am also interested in general issues in world literature and literary theory.
- Stan Brakhage in Rolling Stock, 1980 – 1990. Waterloo: Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2018.
- Two Bicycles: The Work of Jean-Luc Godard and Anne-Marie Miéville. Waterloo: Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2013.
- Re-visioning Europe: The Films of John Berger and Alain Tanner. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2011.
- The Radio Eye: Cinema in the North Atlantic, 1958-1988. Waterloo: Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2009.
- [edited with Marie Carrière] Transplanter le Canada : Semailles / Transplanting Canada: Seedlings. Edmonton: Canadian Literature Centre / Centre de littérature canadienne, 2009.
- Of This Place and Elsewhere: The Films and Photography of Peter Mettler. Toronto / Bloomington: Toronto Film Festival / Indiana University Press, 2006.
[Catalogue for the Mettler retrospective I assembled for Toronto Film Festival]
- [as editor, preface by Atom Egoyan] The Cinema of Canada. London: Wallflower Press, 2006.
- [edited with William Beard] North of Everything: English Canadian Cinema Since 1980. Edmonton: University of Alberta Press, 2002.
- “Informe General and the Missing Link of Third Cinema.” Screen 54:3 (Fall 2013).
- "Sauver le Québec, sauver l'Irlande: Jacques Ferron et l'effelquois atlantique." In Le Québec et l'Irlande: culture, histoire, identité (Quebec City: Septentrion, 2014)
- “Place, Dialect and Broadcasting in Irish: Plus ça change…..” Éire-Ireland 50:1-2 (2015). Pp. 113-136.
- “Maps, Movements and Migrants: Reading Tim Robinson Though Gluaiseacht Chearta Sibhialta na Gaeltachta.” In Derek Gladwin and Christine Cusick, eds., Unfolding Irish Landscape: Tim Robinson, Culture and Environment. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2016. Pp. 160-172.
- “Forms of Multiculturalism and Secularism: Charles Taylor and Ireland.” Irish Studies Review 24:3 (Summer 2016). Pp. 327-350.
- [Co-authored with Nino Dzandzava] “The Cinema of Georgia’s First Independence Period: Between Republican and European.” Film History 27:4 (2016). Pp. 151-182.