- Sustainable and Equitable City Infrastructure – Municipal Solid-Waste Management (3Rs), Transportation, Pedestrian and Cycling Design, Potable Water/Wastewater
- Environmental Planning & Impact Assessment/Greenway Planning/Resilience
- Transit-Oriented Development, Travel Demand Management
- Land Use Planning - New Urbanism, Official Plans & Zoning, Urban Design
- Environmental Planning for First Nations – Traditional Land and Resource Use
- Alternative Dispute Resolution - Public Consultation and Engagement
- Field experience: Canada/USA, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, India, China
Certificate of Postdoctoral Study (2003) – McMaster University
Ph.D. (Planning) (2002) - University of Waterloo, School of Planning
Masters in Environmental Studies-Planning (1990) - York University
Baccalaureate Degree - Geography & Biology - University of Toronto
PLAN 2201 Introduction to Environmental Planning
PLAN 2002 Community Design Methods
PLAN 2010 Sustainable Community Design
PLAN 4001 Environmental Planning Studio
PLAN 4002 Urban Design Studio
PLAN 4150/6150 Waste Management Planning
PLAN 6500 Integrative Team Project
PLAN 6505 Seminar on Theories, Ideas, and Debates in Planning
- Hostovsky, Charles. 2018. “The relationship between green places and urban society: understanding the evolution and integration of city planning and the ecological sciences”, in Planning Knowledge, edited by Tom Sanchez (Virginia Tech). Routledge, pp. 85-109.
- Hostovsky, C. and Graci, S. 2016. “Environmental Assessment in Ontario: Moving from Comprehensive Planning and Decision-Making to Streamlined Approvals” in Hanna, Kevin S. (ed.), third edition. Environmental Impact Assessment: Practice and Participation. Toronto: Oxford University Press, pp. 373-393.
- Hostovsky, Charles. 2014. “Environmental Sustainability” in Michalos, Alex C. (ed.) The Encyclopedia of Quality of Life and Well-Being Research, Springer: pp. 1924-1926.
- Hostovsky, Charles, and General, Paul. 2013. “Six Nations of the Grand River Territory and the Grand River Notification Agreement: Towards Consensus in Land Use and Environmental Planning”, Plan Canada, pp. 43-47.
- Garkowski, Jeffrey, and Hostovsky, Charles. 2011. “Policy versus Practice in Municipal Solid Waste Diversion: The Role of the Waste Crisis in Ontario Waste Planning”, Canadian Journal of Urban Research, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 1-22.
- Hostovsky, Charles. 2011. “Hybrid and Electric Automobiles: Implications to Transportation Demand Management”, in Robbins, Paul, Mulvaney, Dustin, and Golson, J. Geoffrey (eds.). Green Society: Toward a Sustainable Future, Volume 10: Green Technology. SAGE, p. 247-254.
- Hostovsky, C. and Maclaren, V., McGraff, G. April 2010. “The role of public involvement in environmental impact assessment in Vietnam: towards a more culturally sensitive approach”. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 405–425.
- Hostovsky, C. 2009. “Greenwashing”, in Paul Robbins, Juliana R. Mansvelt, J. Geoffrey Golson (eds.). Green Society: Toward a Sustainable Future - Green Consumerism: An A-to-Z Guide. SAGE
- Hostovsky, C. 2006. “The Paradox of the Rational Comprehensive Model of Planning: Tales From Waste Management Planning in Ontario, Canada. ” Journal of Planning Education and Research. Vol. 25 No. 4, pp. 382-395.
- Even-Har, Meirav and Hostovsky, C. 2006. “The Montreal Car Free Day: A Catalyst for Multimodal Transportation Planning”. Plan Canada. Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 17-20.
- Hostovsky, C 2005. “Evaluation in Integrated Waste Management: Understanding the Crisis and Improving Practice Through Planning Theory”, Canadian Journal of Urban Research, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 81-101.
- Hostovsky, C , Hall, Fred, L, Wakefield, S. 2004. “Freeway Users’ Perceptions Of Quality Of Service: A Comparison Of Three Groups”. Transportation Research Record No. 1883, pp. 150-157.
- Hostovsky, C and Hall, Fred. L. 2003. “Freeway Quality of Service: Perceptions of Tractor-Trailer Drivers”. Transportation Research Record No. 1852, pp. 19-25.
- Hostovsky, C . 2000. “Integrating Planning Theory and Waste Management – An Annotated Bibliography”, Journal of Planning Literature, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 305 – 332.
- 5 years - Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing, Ministry of the Environment, Ministry of Transportation
- 3 years - planning department medium sized Ontario city
- 10 years F/T consulting - WSP Global Inc, CH2M Hill
Membership and Service
- Ontario Professional Planners Institute (Registered Professional Planner – RPP)
- Global Planning Educators Interest Group - Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning
- City of Hamilton Clean Air Committee
- City of Hamilton Environmental Advisory Committee
- International Association for Impact Assessment
- City of Burlington Anti-Drinking and Driving Committee