Halifax, NS, Canada B3H 4R2
- critical reflections on architectural history and theory
- architecture and landscape
- BA(Arch), IUAV University
- MArch, IUAV University
- PhD, IUAV University
Current Teaching (2019–20)
- (on leave)
Prof. Dainese's primary interests are the history, theory and criticism of modern architecture; architectural and landscape design; endemic paradigm and African design.
- Dainese, Elisa. "The Relocation of the Indigenous Community of South Indian Lake (1966-68): For an Alternative and Shared Inhabitation of Modern Architectural History." Thresholds 48, Special Issue on Kin (2020): 90–105.
- Dainese, Elisa. "From the Charter of Athens to the ‘Habitat’: CIAM 9 and the African Grids." Journal of Architecture 24, no. 3 (2019): 301–24.
- Dainese, Elisa. "African Design and CIAM Expansion After the Charter of Athens." In Routledge Handbook of Urban Planning in Africa, ed. Carlos Nunes Silva, 177–92. London/New York: Routledge, 2019.
- Dainese, Elisa. The Construction of the Charter of ‘Habitat’: From the Functional City to the African Village / La Costruzione della Carta dell’Habitat: Dalla Città Funzionale al Villaggio Africano. Rome: Bruno Zevi Foundation, 2018.
- Dainese, Elisa. "Histories of Exchange: Indigenous South Africa in the South African Architectural Record and the Architectural Review." Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians 74, no. 4 (2015): 443–63.
Selected Honours and Awards
- Graham Foundation Award to Individuals, Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts, Chicago (2019)
- Bruno Zevi Prize for a Historical/Critical Essay in Architecture, Bruno Zevi Foundation, Rome (2018)
- Italian Academy for Advanced Studies in America Fellowship, Columbia University, New York (2016)
- Opler Grant for Emerging Scholars, Society of Architectural Historians (2015)
- Marie Curie International Outgoing Fellowship, European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme (2013)
Scholarly or Professional Memberships
- Society of Architectural Historians (SAH)
- Global Architectural History Teaching Collaborative (GAHTC)
- Network-Association of European Researchers on Urbanization in the South (N-AERUS)
- Collaborative Research Group African History (CRG African History)
- Africa-Europe Group for Interdisciplinary Studies (AEGIS)
- Smart History (Khan Academy)