Job Opportunities & Announcements
ESALQ is offering the fifth edition of their Special Program on Tropical Bio-based Production Systems. It will be an online event from July 26th to August 6th. Please register by July 10th if you are interested.
Recruitment: International Student Assistant
International Student Assistant (ISA)
International, Faculty of Agriculture, Truro, NS
(Dalhousie career portal ID 101413)
NOTE: Deadline is extended till June 10, 2021
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 19,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
The Faculty of Agriculture, offers technical, undergraduate and graduate programs in agriculture, environment and related life and social science disciplines. The Faculty of Agriculture educates future leaders and generates knowledge and innovative solutions for healthy, sustainable societies.
The International unit in the Faculty of Agriculture (Truro), Dalhousie University is responsible for carrying out internationalization initiatives. This includes development and management of international projects and global education and student mobility opportunities in cooperation with faculty and staff, support for international curriculum and research, and coordination of information on internationalization activities to the campus and community. As part of this learning opportunity, the incumbent will assist International staff with the following duties:
• Develop, refine and maintain promotional communications materials: website content for International including global education activities, projects, newsletters, and social media releases, student targeted brochures, development project profile sheets etc.
• Support global education initiatives including student mobility and global community activities
• Provide administrative and logistical support to international projects
• Develop materials, organize and provide information for visitors engaged with International
• Assist with development, coordination, and delivery of International Education Week (IEW) and International Development Week (IDW)
• Coordinate and assist with public engagement activities and other events that increase the profile of the Faculty of Agriculture, International on campus, in the community and within the greater Dalhousie University
• Coordination of other activities as assigned
• Administrative tasks as needed
• Must be a current university student enrolled for second or third year studies for the 2021-22 academic year, in any discipline of undergraduate programs with the Faculty of Agriculture
• Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with Nova Scotia legislation and regulations
• Must have a valid Class 5 Nova Scotia driver’s license, clear driver’s abstract and be eligible to drive a rental vehicle, including valid certification in Defensive Driving
• Strong English verbal and written communication skills are required, competency in public speaking/presentation an asset
• Must demonstrate cross-cultural competency, international experience is an asset
• Must be proficient with the use of Social Media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Instagram
• Must have strong computer skills, including competency in Microsoft Office Suite (especially EXCEL). Graphic design, web design and multi-media editing skills are considered an asset
• Must be flexible and have strong organizational skills
• Must be knowledgeable of the Dalhousie University Faculty of Agriculture and the agricultural industry in Atlantic Canada
• First-Aid/CPR, WHMIS, Occupational Health & Safety training and international experience are assets
This position is full-time - 35 hours per week over the summer period, including some weekends and evenings (additional hours may be required at times). This is a on campus job, but untill returns to campus plan is implemented, ISA can work from home. Potential continued employment at reduced hours over 2021/22 academic year, to be negotiated within student employment regulations.
· Tentative start date 14 June 2021.